One of my favorite Jewish holidays is here—Passover! I love Passover for many reasons, but the most delicious is the multitude of ways to eat matzo over the course of the week. Jewish observance of this holiday dictates that we cannot eat leavened bread. Instead, we get to eat matzah—a flat cracker made without yeast so it doesn’t rise.
Matzah is vegan by default (it is simply made from flour and water), and there are countless ways to use it in vegan Passover recipes. My family loves to eat matzah plain with Earth Balance butter or vegan cream cheese spread across it, but we also love to grind it up as matzah meal for making pancakes or break it into pieces for layering into casseroles.
Because we eat matzah all week long, it can become challenging to come up with different ways to serve it in unique and tasty ways every day. As always, I find that simple is the most delicious, and this matzah pizza recipe is just that! Because it is interactive, it’s a great recipe for little hands to get in on the action. Line up your favorite toppings on the counter and let your family make their own matzah pizza creation.
For extra fun, try making thematic matzah pizzas with some of these ideas:
- Mexican Matzah Pizza (Refried beans, Soyrizo, jalapeño, vegan cheddar shreds and avocado)
- My Big Fat Greek Matzah Pizza (Chickpeas, Kalamata olives, red onion, artichoke hearts, and roasted red peppers)
- Italian Matzah Pizza (Basil, black olives, and vegan Italian sausage or meatballs)
- Falafel Matzah Pizza (Tahini sauce, sliced falafel, and Greek pickles)
- BBQ Matzah Pizza (BBQ tofu or jackfruit, vegan ranch dressing, BBQ sauce, corn, tomatoes, and avocado)
However you top your matzah, your family will love this fun meal!
- 4 matzah crackers
- 4 tablespoons pizza sauce or vegan pesto sauce
- ½ cup shredded vegan Parmesan or mozzarella cheese
- Toppings of choice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place each matzah cracker on a baking sheet and top with 1 tablespoon of sauce, your selected toppings and 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese.
- Bake for about 5 minutes.