We’re always on the look out for healthy food hacks that taste like indulgent treats, but are packed with nutrients and are nourishing to the body. We love banana “nice” cream for this reason—it tastes like creamy soft serve but it’s made from nothing more than blended frozen banana.
Well, this is the latest one of our healthy food hack finds: Fruit Cones! These chocolate-dipped cones stuffed with fresh fruit are easy and fun to make, and a great alternative to heavy ice cream cones.
In this video Toni Okamoto from Vegan Outreach will show you just how easy these are to make. We hope you’ll give these kid-friendly summer treats a try! Simply use vegan chocolate and vegan ice cream cones and sprinkles (available at many grocery stores), and you’re in business. Enjoy!
- Vegan chocolate chips (check the Food Empowerment Project chocolate list to make sure it’s slavery-free)
- Vegan sprinkles
- Vegan ice cream cones
- a colorful variety of fruits (mangos are great because you can slice them so they stick way up out of the cone).
- Melt the chocolate chips using a double broiler or a microwave.
- Dip the cones in the melted chocolate just so the rim is coated, and then dip into a bowl of your favorite sprinkles. You can get creative here and use red-white-and-blue sprinkles for the fourth of July, a party-theme color, your favorite sports team’s colors, etc. Have fun!
- Place the cones chocolate side down on wax paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Slice a colorful variety of fruits and stuff into the cones and serve!