If you love Italian food, then you must love vegan risotto! It’s one of the easiest Italian dishes to prepare and most beloved for its creamy consistency. So how would you feel if I told you that we have an amazing vegan mushroom risotto recipe to share with you? You’ll seriously love this dish! Shall we jump right to it?
Quick and Super-Easy Vegan Dinner!
Any one-pot vegan recipe with very few ingredients is a great one in our book! This vegan mushroom risotto is one of those. Rice, onions, garlic, oil, mushrooms, soup stock and butter, one pan, and a lot of stirring.
Weekdays are so crazy busy for me (and I’m sure for you too!) that being able to prepare a delicious and healthy dinner so quickly and without much planning is priceless!
Most of the ingredients we already have at home as pantry staples. And of course, you can give yourself the luxury of improvising, which is pretty standard for us as a family. The awesome thing is, this risotto recipe also works as a fancy dinner for when you have people over. When I need to cook for a bunch of people, I prefer to cook dishes that don’t require many steps or pre-preparation. This way, I get actually to enjoy their company!
Vegan Mushroom Risotto: Switch It Up!
This is a pretty basic risotto recipe, which means you can easily switch it up! If you want to stick mostly to this one but want to intensify the flavors, you can add some dried mushrooms to the mix! They might be a bit pricey, but a little goes a long way. If you buy them once you’ll likely have them for a long time. Just soak them in hot water for a few minutes before adding them to the pan.
Now, if you’re feeling cheeky and want to experiment with some other entirely different flavors, you have a whole world of possibilities out there! My favorite way to eat risotto is with peas and butternut squash. These flavors go so well together, but you can choose your favorite veggies and get experimenting!
It’s All In the Stock
If you want to know which ingredient is most essential to get a super-delicious risotto, the vegetable stock you use is way up there! Every stock is different, and which you choose will impact the flavor of your final dish.
The good news is, it’s a great time to be alive, and the choices of ready-made vegan stocks out there are plenty. You can also use ready-made bouillons (like vegetable bouillon cubes or Better Than Bouillon) mixed with water. Voila!
You can also get crafty and prepare your own vegetable broth from scratch, of course, but that would mean a lot more time spent in the kitchen. If you’re up for it, it’s a fantastic way to use your leftover veggie scraps, like those onions or carrot ends. You can freeze your veggie scraps until you have enough to make homemade broth. Zero waste dream!
So, will you give this hearty vegan mushroom risotto a try?Print
This creamy vegan mushroom risotto is the perfect quick Italian comfort food! No need to use dairy cheese or butter to cook an absolutely delicious risotto!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil (like olive or sunflower)
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- ½ a white onion (finely diced)
- 1 rib of celery (diced)
- 1 cup of wild mushrooms (sliced to your desired size)
- 1 cup of arborio rice ((Italian short-grain white rice))
- 3 cups of vegetable stock ((or an equivalent amount of bouillon and water))
- ½ tablespoon of vegan butter
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- In a large saute pan, add the oil and allow to heat. Add the garlic, onion and celery and saute for 3 minutes
- Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook for another 5 minutes
- Add the uncooked rice and mix it in.
- Start gradually adding the vegetable stock (or bouillon and water) to the pan, a little at a time. This step will make the rice release all of its starch, which makes the sauce thicker.
- When you've finished adding the stock, check that the rice is almost fully cooked but still al dente (not completely soft).
- Now add the vegan butter and remove from the heat.
- Your risotto should now be creamy and delicious! Enjoy!
Fancy More Vegan Italian Recipes?
- Authentic Italian Homemade Pasta Sauce
- Vegan Pesto Pasta
- Vegan Rainbow Pizza
- Rosemary & Olive Oil Focaccia
Vegan Mushroom Risotto photos and recipe by Zhoro Apostolov for World of Vegan. Recipe and photographs copyright of World of Vegan™, all rights reserved. Please note that this article contains affiliate links that support our work at World of Vegan!