I’m so excited to share this recipe for my beloved vegan Rocky Road ice cream! It’s one of my favorite recipes of all time. It is easy to make using just 5 ingredients (plus mix-ins), and it’s crazy-good. Fudgy chocolate ice cream with soft pillowy vegan marshmallows, chocolate, and slivered almonds. Is there anything better?
This ice cream is made with a base of coconut milk (the full fat kind from a can) which gives it the perfect thick creaminess that we all want in our ice cream. Not a huge fan of coconut? Don’t worry, there isn’t a strong coconut flavor. In fact, it’s hard to detect the coconut amidst all the chocolatey goodness. I myself am not a big fan of store-bought coconut ice creams, but after playing with a lot of homemade vegan ice cream recipes, I’ve found that those with a coconut milk base have the best consistency, creaminess, and taste the most like dairy ice cream.
To make this recipe you’ll will need an ice cream maker and a blender. It’s also helpful to have containers to store the ice cream in (I love these), but any tupperware containers will work in a pinch.Print
This is the best rocky road ever—vegan or not! It’s easy to make at home, as long as you have an ice cream maker. You must give it a try!
- 2 cans of coconut milk (full fat)
- 2/3 cup of cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup of agave nectar
- 1/3 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of vegan mini marshmallows (I love the brand Dandies)
- 1/3 cup of vegan chocolate chips (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup of almonds (raw or toasted; sliced, slivered, or finely chopped)
- Advance Prep: Freeze the ice cream maker bowl for at least 24 hours before beginning (or follow ice cream maker directions). This is an essential step for getting the right ice cream consistency!
- In a blender, add the coconut milk, cocoa powder, agave nectar, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt and blend until completely smooth. Pour into a bowl, cover, and set in the fridge for at least 1 hour to chill (longer is fine too).
- Set up your ice cream maker with the fully-frozen canister, turn it on, and gently pour in the chilled soupy chocolate mixture. Allow ice cream maker to run until the mixture turns from soup to thick soft serve. This usually takes about 10-15 minutes, but look for visual signs of readiness and follow your ice cream maker’s instructions as the time can vary significantly.
- Meanwhile, prepare the add-ins so they’re all ready to mix in as soon as the ice cream maker is done. In this case, measure out the marshmallows and chop up the chocolate and almonds.
- As soon as it’s ready, using a spatula, quickly scoop all the soft ice cream into a storage container and gently fold in the prepared marshmallows, chocolate, and almonds. The ice cream will be very soft (similar to soft serve) and will melt quickly, so work fast and transfer to the freezer as soon as you’re done!
Do not store the ice cream in the ice cream maker’s basin. That tub gets so cold in the freezer that it will be near-impossible to get the ice cream to soften enough to come out of it when you want to eat it. You can use a generic plastic tupperware or you can find reusable pint ice cream containers online.
Do You Need An Ice Cream Maker In Your Life?
Friends. How did I go a full decade as a vegan without an ice cream maker? I was gifted this Cuisinart ice cream maker over the holidays this past year (thanks, Andy!) and have been blown away by how easy it is to make my own vegan ice cream from scratch, in minutes. Okay, the. whole process takes some time because things need to chill and freeze, but the actual hands-on work is so simple it’s crazy.
More Vegan Ice Cream Recipes & Resources
Vegan Rocky Road Ice Cream photos and recipe by Michelle Cehn for World of Vegan. Recipe and photographs copyright of World of Vegan™, all rights reserved. We want to thank our amazing recipe testers Taylor Gillespi and Aubree Summers for helping us perfect this recipe! Please note that this article contains affiliate links which means shopping through them helps lights on at World of Vegan!