Who doesn’t love vegan potato salad? Maybe it’s related to the fact that we all used to love it as a kid and it always brings back good memories, but it’s also undeniably tasty!
It’s been central to family gatherings for ages and it’s simply a “must.” It’s an easy “bring-along” dish to any barbecue, garden party, picnic, potluck, or casual gathering.
Potato salad is classic, and this vegan potato salad recipe is delicious, crazy-quick, and super-easy. Enjoy!Print
A delicious, creamy, classic American Potato Salad. This vegan potato salad is light, but packs a ton of flavor.
- 6 cups of yellow potatoes (chopped into medium chunks)
- 1/2 cup of celery (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup of red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup of dill pickle (chopped into small chunks)
- 3/4 cup of vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp of yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup of fresh dill (roughly chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- green onion (for garnish, optional)
- Begin by boiling a large pot of water. You can peel the potatoes if you'd like, or leave the skin on. I personally enjoy it with the skin. Chop the potatoes into bite-sized chunks and add them to the pot. When the water begins to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer. Gently boil the potatoes for around 12-15 minutes, or until they are fork tender.
- In the mean time, add celery, onion, dill pickle, mayo, mustard, and dill to a large bowl and mix together.
- When the potatoes are finished cooking, transfer them to a colander. Rinse with cold water and drain. Allow the potatoes to cool for a few minutes.
- Add the potatoes to the bowl with the veggies. Gently toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Every vegan mayo tastes different. If you find it needs more bite, add a bit more mustard, or you can even add a squeeze of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar if desired for some acidity.
- Chill the potato salad until serving. If you'd like you can garnish with chopped green onion, but this is optional. Serve and enjoy!
Everyone needs a great go-to potato salad recipe, and we hope this will become yours. Here are just a few reasons why…
1. It’s Easy-peasy!
When you have to go somewhere and need to prepare something in advance you really want to keep it simple and uncomplicated, right? Apart from boiling potatoes, this recipe has no other lengthy or complicated steps. Just boil, peel and mix with the rest of the ingredients. Voila!
2. It’s a Perfect Side
This filling vegan potato salad makes a great companion to other yummy vegan mains. A fantastic side for a vegan burger or some vegan sausages (this is the favorite way Germans eat their potato salad). What about eating alongside (or on top of) a green salad? So many options. Hard to choose, right? Why not try them all?
3. It’s Budget-Friendly
You can make a big batch of this vegan potato salad using very inexpensive ingredients. A 5 pound bag of potatoes is super affordable, and we always have (most likely!) some vegan mayo in our fridge anyway. As if that was not budget-friendly enough, this salad keeps in the fridge for up to a week! Weekly lunches sorted!
4. It’s Gluten-free
For those who suffer from gluten intolerance or sensitivities, this salad is the total winner! Potatoes mean no gluten, a filling dish, and also lots of nutrients. Perfect!
5. It’s Versatile
These easy to follow recipes with simple ingredients allow you to get creative and let your inspiration run wild! You can use different herbs like parsley or dill. Or you could try sweet potatoes or mixed white and sweet and have a super colorful vegan potato salad!
If you want to make it a bit lighter, you can use less mayo and diluted with water or soy milk or if you’re going to add other veggies like string beans, green peas or sliced red pepper you should add a bit more mayonnaise. You can tweak your version to your liking! Perfect, right?
Are you convinced yet? Better go boil those potatoes!
Want to Know a Cool Tip?
During my early years’ obsession with potato salad, I learned that just boiling the potatoes is not enough if you want the ultimate perfect result. The best tip to make sure you get the texture right is that once you have boiled the potatoes you leave them in the pot with the lid on for a few hours. Weird? Yes! But trust me it works! Somehow the potatoes become tighter and less prone to fall apart as you mix them up with the mayo. Pretty cool, huh?
But which kind of potato is the best to choose to prepare your vegan potato salad? The basic principle is the firmer the better so based on that the best ones are the red potatoes and Yukon Gold. So keep your eyes open if you see them on sale!
Loving Barbecue Inspired Recipes? Why Not Try These?
Potato Salad photos by Kathy Chrzaszcz for World of Vegan. Recipe and photographs copyright of World of Vegan™, all rights reserved. Please note that this article contains affiliate links which means shopping through them helps lights on at World of Vegan!