A vegan rice krispies recipe? Yes, please! You can make this delightful treat vegan simply by choosing vegan marshmallows and plant-based butter (or coconut oil). These “Mice Krispies Treats” decorated with sweet chocolate mice faces are a fun treat to make for Halloween—especially if you’re dressed up as cat!
What’s the problem with regular marshmallows, you ask? Generic marshmallows are made with gelatin which comes from animal skin and bones. Nasty stuff. Luckily, vegan marshmallows are much easier to find these days. Dandies is the main brand available in the United States, but you can even find vegan marshmallows at Trader Joe’s now!
Without further ado, enjoy the recipe! And be sure to peek at the video to see exactly how these are made.
Why You Should Make a Vegan Rice Krispies Recipe
What’s more delightful than a chewy and crunchy sweet treat that relies on puffed rice crisps and gooey goodness? Well, not much! These vegan rice krispies are pinnacles of childhood nostalgia with no yucky gelatin to worry about! Plus, they’re simply adorable with the addition of cute little chocolate ears and whiskers. Here are a few hefty highlights about why these mice krispie treats are so terrific:
- Lunchbox Ready – These mice krispies make a great addition to your kid’s (or even your own) lunchbox! If you’re including some for your kiddo, it’s a great way for them to feel more included during Halloween when they may see other kids eating up non-vegan krispie treats.
- Easy and Adorable – This recipe is rather simple and straightforward which is what makes it perfect for preparing in time for a haunted Halloween party!
- Gloriously Gluten-Free – If someone in your family can’t have gluten and still wants a sweet and hearty treat, these mice krispies can’t be beat! Woo hoo!
While there are but only a few ingredients needed for this vegan rice krispies recipe, they are mighty (just like mice)! All you need is your favorite puffed rice cereal, vegan butter, vegan marshmallows, and some chocolate chips to melt.
- Rice Is Nice – Rice is one of the most commonly consumed grains in the world. While it doesn’t take much to turn it into a sweet dessert, puffed rice adds a whole other dynamic of texture and taste. Naturally gluten-free, rice is generally safe for people with a range of food sensitivities to consume.
- Miraculous Vegan Marshmallows – What happens when you mix marshmallows with puffed rice? Magic. The gooey sweetness of marshmallow with crunchy rice is perhaps an underrated combination in a world dominated by cookies, cake, and donuts.
- Three Cheers for Vegan Chocolate – Chocolate is one of the most beloved foods on earth—it’s a serotonin booster, a flavor booster, and just downright delicious (to many, at least). Here it is not the star of the show but rather a supporting role. To ensure that you’re buying fair trade chocolate, check this guide by the Food Empowerment Project!
Homemade vegan Halloween treats are the best! These adorable vegan rice krispies treats decorated to look like sweet little mice will be a definite hit with your friends and family.
- In a large sauce pan over low heat, add vegan butter and marshmallows.
- Stir regularly for about 7–8 minutes, or until largely melted.
- Add cereal to the sauce pan and stir until well combined.
- Press mixture into a 9×9 pan and set aside to cool before cutting into mice-sides rectangles.
- On a piece of paper, sketch mice parts (ears, tails and whiskers), place it on a cutting board, and cover with wax paper.
- Heat chocolate chips (using microwave of double boiler) until melted.
- Pour melted chocolate into a plastic bag, cut a tiny hole in the tip, and pipe the chocolate onto the wax paper to form your mice ears. Set in the freezer for 20 minutes until chocolate hardens.
- While freezing, pipe the chocolate onto the rice krispies to form the mice eyes, nose, and whiskers. Then pipe chocolate onto the “head” to attach the frozen ears.
- Allow to cool before enjoying or serving at a Halloween party!
- If you’d prefer, you can melt the butter and marshmallows in a microwave instead of on the stove. To do so, in a glass bowl microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring between each, until marshmallows are fully melted. Then mix in cereal and stir until combined.
Keywords: vegan treats, vegan halloween, rice krispies, puffed rice treat
If you try this Vegan Rice Krispies recipe, let us know what you think by leaving a comment and rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Fa
Can You Store Rice Krispies?
Because puffed rice gets stale very quickly, it’s not advised to store these vegan mice krispies for too long but if you end up with more than you can chew, stick them in an airtight container for up to three days or store in the freezer for up to six weeks. Try to get as little air as possible in the container!
How to Have the Ultimate Vegan Halloween
- Throw a Plant-Based Party – Whether you’re itching to throw on your favorite costume or need an excuse to dress up your dog, you can throw a happening Halloween party with Zero creepy animal products to worry about! Make some vegan mummy dogs, create some caramel apples, and bust out the vegan candy!
- Save Your Pumpkin Carvings – Carving out a cute cow or spooked kitty? You can do so much with the scraps from pumpkin carvings! Soups, salads, pasta sauce, and more can be made from the seeds and flesh of the beautiful pumpkin.
- Keep Decorations Sustainable – Whether it’s cutting up an old shirt, getting super crafty, or finding used decorations online or elsewhere, there are plenty of ways to avoid buying new decorations every year. Plus, your mini pumpkin may just last more than one season!
5 Fun Facts About Mice
- Mice are very intelligent and use vocal noises, olfactory scents, and facial expressions to communicate with each other.
- Mice are incredibly clean and organized. Within their intricate underground homes, they have specific areas for storing food, going to the toilet, and for shelter.
- Whiskers help mice to sense smooth and rough edges, temperature change, and breezes.
- Mice have incredible balance and can walk along thin wire.
- Mice can jump down 12 feet without injuring themselves and can squeeze through a hole the size of a #2 pencil. If her head can squeeze through a hole, the rest of her body can fit as well.
We hope you enjoy this vegan Halloween recipe! If you make it, we’d love to see your photos on social media.
More Tantalizing Vegan Treats to Try:
- Vegan Snickers Bars
- Vegan Chocolate Truffles
- Easy DIY Vegan Chocolate Bowls
- DIY Chocolate-Dipped Fruit Cones
- Superfood Chocolate Bark With Pecans
Vegan rice krispies treat recipe photos by Michelle Cehn; pumpkin photos from Canva. Article written by Michelle Cehn and edited by Amanda Meth. Please note that this article may contain affiliate links. Have a very happy vegan Halloween!