Vegan rice krispies treats? Yes, please! You can make this delightful treat vegan simply by choosing vegan marshmallows and plant-based butter (or coconut oil). These “Mice Krispies Treats” decorated with sweet chocolate mice faces are a fun treat to make for Halloween—especially if you’re dressed up as cat!
What’s the problem with regular marshmallows, you ask? Generic marshmallows are made with gelatin which comes from animal skin and bones. Nasty stuff. Luckily, vegan marshmallows are much easier to find these days. Dandies is the main brand available in the United States, but you can even find vegan marshmallows at Trader Joe’s now!
Without further ado, enjoy the recipe! And be sure to peek at the video to see exactly how these are made.Print
Homemade vegan Halloween treats are the best! These adorable vegan rice krispies treats decorated to look like sweet little mice will be a definite hit with your friends and family.
- In a large sauce pan over low heat, add vegan butter and marshmallows.
- Stir regularly for about 7–8 minutes, or until largely melted.
- Add cereal to the sauce pan and stir until well combined.
- Press mixture into a 9×9 pan and set aside to cool before cutting into mice-sides rectangles.
- On a piece of paper, sketch mice parts (ears, tails and whiskers), place it on a cutting board, and cover with wax paper.
- Heat chocolate chips (using microwave of double boiler) until melted.
- Pour melted chocolate into a plastic bag, cut a tiny hole in the tip, and pipe the chocolate onto the wax paper to form your mice ears. Set in the freezer for 20 minutes until chocolate hardens.
- While freezing, pipe the chocolate onto the rice krispies to form the mice eyes, nose, and whiskers. Then pipe chocolate onto the “head” to attach the frozen ears.
- Allow to cool before enjoying or serving at a Halloween party!
- If you’d prefer, you can melt the butter and marshmallows in a microwave instead of on the stove. To do so, in a glass bowl microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring between each, until marshmallows are fully melted. Then mix in cereal and stir until combined.
Keywords: vegan treats, vegan halloween, rice krispies, puffed rice treat
5 Facts About Mice:
- Mice are very intelligent and use vocal noises, olfactory scents, and facial expressions to communicate with each other.
- Mice are incredibly clean and organized. Within their intricate underground homes, they have specific areas for storing food, going to the toilet, and for shelter.
- Whiskers help mice to sense smooth and rough edges, temperature change, and breezes.
- Mice have incredible balance and can walk along thin wire.
- Mice can jump down 12 feet without injuring themselves and can squeeze through a hole the size of a #2 pencil. If her head can squeeze through a hole, the rest of her body can fit as well.
We hope you enjoy this vegan Halloween recipe! If you make it, we’d love to see your photos on social media.
Vegan rice krispies treat recipe photos by Michelle Cehn; pumpkin photos from Canva. Please note that this article may contain affiliate links. Have a very happy vegan Halloween!