This vegan Mexican hot chocolate recipe by Toni Okamoto is perfect for the holidays. Cozy up with a plush blanket, a good book, and a mug of this hot cocoa, and you’re set for winter. This recipe is made with rich melted chocolate and a kick of spice from chili powder, cinnamon, and cayenne. You can see exactly how to make it in our recipe video. Enjoy!
What Is Mexican Hot Chocolate?
Traditional Mexican hot chocolate involves a variety of spices layered with chocolate that delivers a rich and invigorating experience. If you want to have as authentic an experience as possible from the comfort of your kitchen, we’d recommend using a brand of solid Mexican chocolate such as Taza.
Pro Tip: When shopping for chocolate, be sure to check the Food Empowerment Project chocolate list to ensure that it was sourced ethically (without slave labor)!
How to Serve Up Your Vegan Mexican Hot Chocolate
While your Mexican hot chocolate will be quite delicious on its own, there are a number of ways you can bulk up your experience!
- Make a Mexican Feast – Whether you’re planning a holiday party or just love Mexican food, having a Mexican feast to go along with your hot chocolate is the ultimate way to treat your tastebuds and honor a beautiful culture. Prep some Vegan Pozole, ready your Mexican Red Rice, and muster up some Vegan Mollete for a delicious Mexican winter meal! Just don’t forget the guacamole!
- Get Tons of Treats – Tis’ the season for baked goods! Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Bread, Vegan Florentine Cookies, and Vegan Maple Walnut Blondies will all be heavenly alongside your vegan Mexican hot chocolate.
- Crank Up the Warmth – While soup may not be the first thing you think of when you imagine hot chocolate, it’s a great way to keep you feeling extra warm during the colder months! One-Pot Sweet Potato Soup, Chickpea Noodle Soup, or Easy Vegan Squash & Cauliflower Soup are all amazing choices!
Where Can I Find Vegan Marshmallows?
The most widely available vegan marshmallows are from Dandie’s, which are sold at stores such as Target, Whole Foods, and Walmart. They contain all of the flavor and no awful gelatin which is commonly found in non-vegan marshmallows! If you can’t find any at a store near you, try getting them online!Print
Cold winter days are made much warmer with this delicious vegan Mexican hot chocolate! Cozy up with your favorite vegan blanket and let the comforting spices and sweetness of this drink warm you right up.
- 3¼ cup of soy or almond milk
- ⅔ cup of dark chocolate chips
- 1½ teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Vegan marshmallows for topping (optional)
Pour milk into a medium-sized saucepan and bring up to medium heat.
Once milk is steaming warm, add in the chocolate chips, ground cinnamon, chili powder, vanilla extract, and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine ingredients.
Pour hot chocolate into your favorite mug and top with marshmallows if you have them on-hand! Enjoy!
If you prefer to use a vegan hot chocolate mix, follow the instructions per the label and enjoy!
Keywords: hot chocolate, winter, warm, spicy, drink, marshmallow, chocolate, cocoa, comfort
If you try this Vegan Mexican Hot Chocolate recipe, let us know what you think by leaving a comment and rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Fa
More Delicious Drinks to Try:
- Vegan Hot Cocoa
- Gingerbread Smoothie
- Vegan Peppermint Mocha
- Cucumber Watermelon Cooler
- Homemade Almond Milk Recipe
Vegan Mexican Hot Chocolate recipe by Toni Okamoto. Photos by Michelle Cehn. Article written by Michelle Cehn and edited by Amanda Meth. Please note that this article may contain affiliate links which supports our work at World of Vegan. This post is not sponsored by Dandie’s or Taza.