Hot. Cheesy. Creamy. The most mouthwatering munchies, like this vegan jalapeño poppers recipe, seem to be a classic combination of these three elements. Who can resist such a tantalizing trio?
Super easy to make with only 3 steps––slice open the peppers, mix up the filling, and bake! With just five ingredients, you really can’t go wrong. When you’re in need of an amazing appetizer to please the masses (or just your own begging belly), arm yourself with this appealing and irresistible recipe.
How to Serve Up the Perfect Poppers
These pretty party poppers will probably be gone in no time, but here are a few ways to make them last a little longer. Savvy serving, picky peppers, and creative creams come to mind. Feel free to come up with your own inventive ideas, too!
- Savvy Serving – People love appetizers that are cute and come in bunches. Arrange a pleasing platter with peppers all along the perimeter and, even better, have some peeking off the plate. Pass out fancy little forks or small, nifty napkins for easy handling and protection from hotness (and volatile oils!) on the hands.
- Picky Peppers – Jalapeños are not the only peppers you can pick for this jalapeño poppers recipe. If you’re a little hesitant about the heat, try anaheim, poblano, or ancho chili peppers (medium spicy). If you love jalapeños, but crave something new, try smoky chipotle peppers (hot). For a scorchingly spicy selection, choose scotch bonnet or habaneros. Holy hotness!
- Creative Creams – Using the same cream cheese base, consider switching up the types of shredded cheese you use. Add in mozzarella, Fiesta blend, colby jack, or parmesan for the pepperjack or cheddar. Instead of oregano, use chives, scallions, dill, or smoked paprika. The options are endless!
Enjoy Them Baked or Grilled
These vegan jalapeño poppers can be baked or grilled—we’ve done both! Baking them enables you to whip these up for a vegan Super Bowl party appetizer, while tossing them on the grill makes them a perfect addition to any summer BBQ. Throwing a pool party? Pull out the barbecue for these gorgeous poolside snacks.
Air Frying Our Vegan Jalapeño Poppers Recipe
While baking these beauties in the oven gives them a lovely crisp exterior, you can step up the crunch factor a notch and use your air fryer instead. Simply make the peppers as directed, preheat your machine for 5 minutes, and then air fry at 325 degrees for about 12 minutes.
You’ll be amazed at the extra crispy texture! To make these peppery poppers even more pleasing, add a strip of eggplant bacon or pre-packaged vegan bacon around the outside before air-frying or baking. Incredibly indulgent, but also delicious.
Our jalapeño poppers recipe can easily be made ahead of time (Woo! Easy party prep!) and stored in the fridge for 3-5 days. On the day that you want to make the poppers, simply take them out of the refrigerator and allow them to come to room temperature while the oven is heating up. Bake as usual.
Any leftovers can also be refrigerated for about 3-5 days. If you don’t think you’ll eat them before that time, simply freeze them in an airtight, freezer safe container (or bag) for up to five months. Take the peppers out the night before you are planning on re-heating them.
Equipment You’ll NeedPrint
Get the party poppin’ with these baked jalapeño poppers. With just 5 ingredients, these are a cinch to make and deliver the perfect combination of cheesy and crunchy with a spicy kick. They’re always the first to go at parties because they’re ahhh-ma-zing!
- 12 jalapeño peppers
- 1 8 ounce tub of vegan cream cheese (we use Tofutti)
- 1 8 ounce package of vegan pepperjack or cheddar cheese (we use Follow Your Heart)
- 1 teaspoon of oregano (fresh or dried)
- ¼ cup of breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- With a sharp knife, halve and de-seed each jalapeño and place them in a baking dish.
- Mix the cream cheese, cheese shreds, and oregano together until well combined.
- Scoop a dollop of the cheese mixture into the hollow of each jalapeño pepper to fill half-way.
- Sprinkle generously with breadcrumbs, and bake for 25 minutes.
- To brown the top, you can then broil for another minute.
TIP: If you have rubber gloves, throw those babies on before handling the raw jalapeño peppers as protection from the volatile oils! This is especially important if you wear contact lenses. If not, just be careful not to touch the seeds, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water and don’t touch your eyes for the next 24 hours.
Keywords: jalapeno, vegan snack, dairy-free, vegan cheese, vegetarian, vegan, vegan appetizer
More Amazing Appetizers to Try:
This Jalapeño Poppers recipe and photos by Michelle Cehn and Toni Okamoto. Article written by Gina House and edited by Amanda Meth. Content copyright World of Vegan, all rights reserved. This recipe includes affiliate links when available which supports our work at World of Vegan.