I’ve been making this vegan mac and cheese for years and I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to share it with you. The cheese sauce is made from a base of cashews, veggies, spices, and nutritional yeast and it’s so, so good.
I enjoy this vegan mac unbaked because the flavors of the onion and garlic really come through, and I love flavor! But if that’s a bit much for you, or you just love crispy topped baked mac and cheese, you can put it in a casserole dish and pop it in the oven at 350 degrees for as long as you’d like. If you do, I encourage you mix in some add-ins like broccoli or jalapeno and sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs before you bake it. YUM.
- 1 pound of pasta
- 2/3 cup of raw cashews
- ½ of a yellow onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- ¼ cups of nutritional yeast
- 4 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste (for color)
- 4 shakes of turmeric (for color)
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 2½ cups of water
- Chives for garnish (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, drain, and set aside.
- In a high-powered blender add all ingredients (except pasta) and blend on high until you have a liquid with no remaining chunks.
- Pour into a pot over medium-low heat and allow to simmer, stirring consistently with a whisk until it thickens and peaks begin to form when you pull the whisk out of the sauce. Note that the cheese sauce will continue to thicken further as it cools.
- Pour vegan cheese sauce over cooked pasta and mix well. For a more flavorful mac, serve immediately sprinkled with chopped chives. If you prefer a more mild flavor, bake the mac in the oven at 350 degrees before serving.
- Will you be baking your mac and cheese? Consider mixing in chopped broccoli, diced jalapeño, spinach, or any other favorite add-ins, and sprinkling the top with breadcrumbs before baking.
Fall Inspired ‘What I Eat In A Day’ Video
Psssst! This recipe was featured in my Fall What I Eat In A Day video that I filmed with my mom, Joan Cehn, in case you want to get more fall recipe inspiration.