Where to begin? Vegan Nutella is what dreams are made of! This creamy, sweet, and nutty delicious spread has the ability to make everything better. The original version is full of dairy, so this recipe is much healthier and cruelty-free! I’m in!
Always Better Homemade!
Whenever you can avoid buying the processed version of something, try making it yourself! There are so many staples which I prefer to make at home. If not to save some money, to generate less waste and, to be honest, sometimes homemade just tastes better.
For example, when it comes to almond milk, homemade tastes so much better to me. Maybe its the lack of additives or just the freshness, but there’s a whole world of difference between the two. Same thing with vegan Nutella! Store-bought brands usually come with many other ingredients added like oils and extra sugars, but this minimal version is much cleaner.
Homemade Vegan Nutella
There's nothing more dreamy than eating vegan nutella out of the jar! This recipe is so simple and so addictive you'll be using this spread on everything. Crepes, toast, sandwiches, as a fruit dip...the sky is the limit!
- 3 tablespoons of creamy hazelnut butter
- 3 tablespoons of vegan dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons of coconut milk
Using a double boiler, melt hazelnut butter, dark chocolate, and coconut milk together, mixing until well combined. As soon as it's all melted and mixed, it's done! Remove from the heat and transfer into a glass jar.
Can’t find Hazelnut Butter? Let’s Make Our Own!
Ok, we know! Hazelnut butter may not be something you can find easily at your go-to grocery store. But trust me when I tell you that making your own takes a few minutes, and it’s so, so good!
You can find hazelnuts at the bulk section at some grocery stores. Extra points if you find them on sale! Making your own hazelnut butter only takes one ingredient, hazelnuts, and a food processor and warm oven.
- Place your hazelnuts on the tray (make sure it’s only one layer) and bake at 350° F for 15 minutes.
- Make sure you check it often! You don’t want them to burn because you’ll waste that batch.
- When they are ready, take them out and place onto a clean kitchen towel.
- Rub them until their skin easily peels off.
- Place them in your food processor and process until a cream is formed. You might need to stop and scrape the sides a few times.
- Keep on going until you get smooth nut butter (like creamy peanut butter)!
Vegan Nutella Add-Ons!
We don’t need to argue that Nutella on its own is pretty amazing, but a few add-ons here and there could help you make a variation to switch it up every now and then! But how?
Adding a few simple dashes of cinnamon to the mix could give it a delicious fall/holiday touch. Yum! What about some drops of peppermint flavor (oil or extract)? Minty chocolate Nutella sounds dreamy, right? Something like after-eight spread? Yes, please!
If you don’t mind playing around with the texture, you could add some coconut shreds or cacao nibs (if you like the crunch!) and the more obvious addition of roasted hazelnut pieces. A bit like crunchy peanut butter!
But, How Do We Eat Vegan Nutella?
Well, first of all, this shouldn’t be a problem because you can always eat it straight from the jar with your beloved spoon! But if you need a bit of guidance, we can give you a few ideas.
- Spread it on bread (or anything!): Slice some white baguette and just spread it all over. On your morning toast or bagel? Yes! You can also try a vegan Nutella and banana sandwich in place of a classic PB&J.
- Fill some vegan crepes: Have you tried Nutella filled crepes before? They are the ultimate sweet winter street food here in Europe. On the cold evenings in London or Paris, they have carts line up with steaming pans of freshly cooked crepes, which can be filled with delightful Nutella, banana, strawberries, and beyond. Now you can make your own version of that at your cozy home! Perfect!
- Enjoy it as a fruit dip: If fresh strawberries are in season, enjoy them dipped in Nutella, fondu style!
- Drizzle it on (basically) everything: This homemade vegan Nutella would be an amazing topping for your cozy bowl of morning oats or the well-deserved ice cream bowl of ice cream on Friday night. You can mark my words; this goes well with anything sweet!
More Vegan Chocolate-filled Recipes?
Homemade Vegan Nutella photos and recipe by Zhoro Apostolov for World of Vegan. Recipe and photographs copyright of World of Vegan™, all rights reserved. Thank you to our recipe testers Nicole Benson and Helen Di Renzo. Please note that this article contains affiliate links which support our work at World of Vegan!