Craving some chewy, vegan jerky to snack on or take along for a nature stroll? This vegan jerky guide has all your plant-based jerky needs covered. From to mushroom jerky to soy curls to coconut jerky, there’s a little something for everyone!
Whether you’re going camping, taking a hike, or just want to nosh, vegan jerky can be a fun and satisfying snack. Why not swap that artery-clogging, cholesterol-raising beef jerky for some healthier vegan jerky made from ingredients like soy, wheat, coconut, eggplant, or even mushrooms! It’s easier than ever to find vegetarian jerky options these days and we’re so excited to share some fun facts, favorite recipes, and vegan jerky brands with you!
What Is Vegan Jerky Made From?
Vegan jerky can be made from a lot of different ingredients, so if you’re sensitive to certain ingredients such as soy or gluten, there’s very likely an option out there for you! Common ingredients in vegetarian jerky include:
- Soy – Soy curls are commonly used to make homemade vegan jerky and many vegan brands use a variation of soy protein.
- Mushrooms – Portobello, shiitake, and oyster mushrooms all make great choices for gluten-free vegan jerky.
- Wheat – Seitan jerky is made from vital wheat gluten and makes for a super meat-like vegan jerky!
- Jackfruit – Jackfruit jerky is a tasty way to enjoy meatless jerky and is great for those who are soy-free or gluten-free!
- Kelp – Vegan jerky made from kelp? You bet! This salty sea treat makes for an excellent meat-free jerky.
- Coconut – Did you know that raw vegan jerky can be made from coconut? Well, it’s true!
Vegan Jerky Brands
♥ Su Mama Vegan Jerky (my favorite!)
♥ Stonewall’s Jerky (only some are vegan)
This is just the beginning—the vegan jerky space is rapidly growing and we will certainly see new innovation soon. Stay tuned!
Hungry for more vegan videos? Be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel where we publish new videos every week!
This article contains affiliate links which help us keep the lights on at World of Vegan. This post is not sponsored, and we only share products and companies we sincerely adore!