This cozy vegan broccoli cauliflower soup is made with healthy ingredients that would surprise some—like cream made from cashews rather than milk from a momma cow!Print
This hearty soup will delight you with its creaminess that comes from cashews and cauliflower. Snuggle up on a cold day with a warming bowl.
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews, soaked at least 4 hours, and drained
- 8 cups of water, divided
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 cup of diced yellow onion
- 1 medium head cauliflower, leaves removed, cored, and cut into medium chunks (about 3 cups)
- 3 medium stalks of broccoli, separated into bite-sized florets (about 4–5 cups) and peeled stems cut into medium chunks (about 1–2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon of dried marjoram
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ￼1 tablespoon of salt￼
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- In a blender, process cashews and 1 cup water to make a completely smooth cashew cream.
- Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat and add oil. Sauté onion, cauliflower, broccoli stems only, and marjoram for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 2 minutes more. Add remaining 7 cups water, cashew cream, and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower to medium heat, cover, and cook until vegetables are very soft, approximately 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or carefully in 2-3 batches using a standard blender, purée soup base until completely smooth. Add broccoli florets and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes until broccoli is bright green and tender. Add pepper to taste and serve hot.
- This soup is exceptionally versatile. If broccoli isn’t your favorite, feel free to substitute different veggies instead, like potatoes, mushrooms, asparagus, or corn.
Keywords: dairy-free, vegan soup, vegan dinner, winter, fall, warm, vegetarian, broccoli, cauliflower, broccoli soup
The Wonders of Vegan Broccoli Cauliflower Soup
This hearty soup is not only delicious but also packs in a variety of health benefits. Here’s a closer look at what you’re getting with every bite:
- Plant Protein – Cashews not only add a delicious creaminess to every dish you use them in but are super rich in protein! Just one ounce contains over 5 grams, making this creamy nut a mighty vegan protein source.
- Big Broccoli Benefits – Broccoli is the classic vegetable of vegetables. Nutritious, beautiful, and bulky, broccoli boasts a wide array of vitamins, iron, and fiber making it an obvious choice for maintaining a healthy diet.
- Cauliflower Creaminess – Like broccoli, cauliflower is a nutritious, cruciferous vegetable belonging to the same family as cabbage, bok choy, and kale but what truly sets it apart is its creamy, luscious consistency. Cauliflower is perfect for making soup for this very reason!
How to Serve Up Your Broccoli Cauliflower Soup
Need some suggestions on what to eat with your soup? Look no further, we’ve got you covered!
- Sandwich Time – Sandwiches are ideal for enjoying with soup. The fluffy bread coupled with a savory filling does wonders for one’s taste buds, mmm. May we suggest pairing this scrumptious soup with none other than our Vegan BLT Sandwich With Homemade Eggplant Bacon.
- Bring on the Bread – If you’re good with gluten, bread can be an extremely enjoyable addition to soup. It’s hard to go wrong but our “Ale, Yeah” Rosemary Beer Bread, Rosemary & Olive Focaccia Bread, and Pandesal recipes.
- Side of Salad – Salads are classic pairings with soup. The cool, crunchy texture paired with the smooth warmth of soup is a favorite of many! Can’t get enough veggies? Check our How to Make A Vegan Superhero Salad guide. Pining for pasta? Try this Fresh Picnic Pasta Salad or Super-Easy Vegan Pasta Salad.
Storing Your Broccoli Cauliflower Soup
Soup is perfect for making in bulk to enjoy throughout the week. Kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator, this broccoli cauliflower soup will last 3-4 days. If freezing, it will keep up to 3 months when kept in a freezer-safe bag or container.
Love this recipe? Pick up your own copy of The Dairy Detox cookbook for more!
More Simple Soups to Try:
Vegan Broccoli Cauliflower Soup recipe by Allison Rivers Samson from The Dairy Detox Cookbook. Article written by Michelle Cehn and edited by Amanda Meth. Please note that this article may contain affiliate links and shopping through those links supports our work here at World of Vegan!