Fall is here, bringing with it apple picking season! I love autumn with its vibrant colors, falling leaves, and chillier weather. Instead of apple pie, try these mini pastry purses to celebrate the bounty of fall—bright red, delicious apples. These special vegan desserts look like little purses, bursting with apple walnut goodness!
I use a dairy-free and eggless puff pastry (I recommend Aussie Brand), and made a filling of apples, walnuts, pomegranate juice, cinnamon, and agave. Puff pastry is super versatile and easy to use, and it always looks good no matter what you do to it! If you thaw it ahead of time, you can have these sweet treats ready within 30 minutes. Each pastry sheet makes 6 puffs, so you get a full dozen treats from one package of puff pastry.
They look so elegant that everyone will think you slaved away making these, but in reality you just need a few ingredients and a few simple steps. They are really so easy to make. I won’t tell anyone if you won’t! Bake up a batch and toast “to them apples!”
- 1 package puff pastry (dairy and egg free)
- 2 red apples (any variety), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 pomegranate juice (or juice blend)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbl agave
- 2 tbl Earth Balance, melted (or other non-dairy butter)
- Cinnamon sugar for sprinkling
- Thaw puff pastry for about 45 minutes. Roll out and cut each sheet into 6 squares.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the apples, walnuts, juice, cinnamon, and agave in a bowl.
- Place a heaping spoonful of the apple mixture in the center of each pastry square. Gather the sides and pinch together in a "purse."
- Brush with the melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Place on a cookie sheet with cooking spray and bake for about 10 minutes until golden brown.