Say sayonara to those chemical-laden products with mile-long ingredient lists, and olà to healthy, gentle, cruelty-free beauty products made from ingredients so clean you could eat them—literally! The Compassionate Chick’s Guide to DIY Beauty just hit shelves, bringing with it 125 vegan beauty recipes you can whip together in your kitchen. Think: mascara made from charcoal, matcha face masks, baking soda bath bombs, and DIY vegan deodorant paste (recipe below).
This book was written by the ever-fabulous Sunny Subramanian from Vegan Beauty Review, who you’ve probably seen around the block at least a few times. She was the very first vegan blogger to hit the scene, and has been sharing her sassy musings about cruelty-free beauty since 2007!
This new DIY vegan beauty book features over 100 full-color pictures and step-by-step sequences photographed by yours truly, easy-to-follow charts and diagrams, and loads of tips, facts, and information presented with Sunny’s usual pizzazz. And lucky for you, Sunny is sharing her favorite recipe for DIY vegan deodorant paste from the book! Ta-ta, stinky pits!Print
Tired of searching for a pure, chemical-free deodorant that doesn’t cost a fortune? Yeah, me, too. Here’s a mega-simple DIY deodorant that focuses on safe, effective ingredients. No muss, no fuss, no stink!
Top Tip: Tea tree, lavender and lemongrass essential oils are all powerful odor fighters. Add a few drops and you’ll be smelling sweet!
- small glass jar with lid
- 3 tablespoons of arrowroot powder or cornstarch (45 mL)
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda or kaolin clay (15 mL)
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (30 mL)
- 5 drops of essential oil(s) of your choice 5
- In a small bowl, whisk arrowroot powder with baking soda until well combined. Set aside.
- Place coconut oil in a small heatproof glass bowl. Microwave on High, stirring every 5 seconds, until melted and completely smooth. (The total time will depend on the strength of your microwave.)
- Whisk coconut oil into arrowroot mixture along with essential oil(s) until a paste forms. Pour into jar.
- Using fingers, rub a small amount of paste over underarm skin until absorbed.
- Store at room temperature for up to 1 year.
- Best for: Normal, Combination, Oily/acne-prone, Dry and Mature skin.
Keywords: diy deodorant, cruelty-free deodorant, vegan deodorant, homemade, body care