Say sayonara to those chemical-laden products with mile-long ingredient lists, and olà to healthy, gentle, cruelty-free beauty products made from ingredients so clean you could eat them—literally! The Compassionate Chick’s Guide to DIY Beauty just hit shelves, bringing with it 125 vegan beauty recipes you can whip together in your kitchen. Think: mascara made from charcoal, matcha face masks, baking soda bath bombs, and DIY vegan deodorant paste (recipe below).
This book was written by the ever-fabulous Sunny Subramanian from Vegan Beauty Review, who you’ve probably seen around the block at least a few times. She was the very first vegan blogger to hit the scene, and has been sharing her sassy musings about cruelty-free beauty since 2007!
This new DIY vegan beauty book features over 100 full-color pictures and step-by-step sequences photographed by yours truly, easy-to-follow charts and diagrams, and loads of tips, facts, and information presented with Sunny’s usual pizzazz. And lucky for you, Sunny is sharing her favorite recipe for DIY vegan deodorant paste from the book! Ta-ta, stinky pits!
What’s So Great About Natural Deodorant?
We’re so glad you asked! The wonderful thing about this DIY vegan deodorant is that it’s not only free from animal products and cruel testing but is completely natural and safe.
Whether you have concerns about what you’re putting in your body or if you just enjoy making your own body products, this deodorant will have you feeling as great as you smell! While studies suggest that commercial deodorant is safe to use (allergies notwithstanding), it is still likely tested on animals. By making your own deodorant, you have total control over what goes into your paste and can rest easy knowing that no animals were harmed!
How Can I Smell Good With DIY Deodorant?
The key ingredient to turning your funk into fresh lies in the essential oils. Florals such as lavender, rose, ylang ylang, and lily are all classic choices but feel free to also mix and match your scents!
Here are just a few combination ideas:
- Lavender & Vanilla – Give lovely lavender a dose of extra sweetness by adding in some venerable vanilla. The only thing is that you may find yourself dreaming of vegan treats if you end up smelling like dessert!
- Rose & Tea Tree Oil – Tea tree oil is great for mitigating the putrid of your pits but it can be strong for some people’s liking. If you want the bacterial-fighting properties with a less intense scent, consider adding a few drops of rose! The floral notes will blend nicely with the tea tree and you can even ratio for more rose to calm it out.
- Citrus & Patchouli – Patchouli can be a popular choice for DIY cosmetics due to its earthy and dynamic scent features. It has a calming yet invigorating effect and goes great with sweeter scents such as orange citrus or even vanilla!
In addition to the essential oils working to make you smell extra fresh, the other ingredients in this DIY vegan deodorant are magnificent in making your pits smell prettier.
- Kick Out Bacteria With Kaolin Clay – Kaolin clay is commonly used in facial products for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties so it only makes sense to include it in your DIY deodorant. Can’t find kaolin clay? Baking soda will work just fine as your deodorizer!
- Absorbent Arrowroot – While arrowroot powder is commonly used as a thickening agent in vegan recipes, it is perfect for deodorant because it acts as a sweat absorber! Never worry about getting those pesky sweat circles on your shirt again!
- Cuckoo for Coconut Oil – Coconut oil in deodorant? Why yes! Not only is it antibacterial but it is an important ingredient in aiding the formation of your DIY vegan deodorant! Plus, you can use the leftovers to bake yourself a nice treat.
Tired of searching for a pure, chemical-free deodorant that doesn’t cost a fortune? Yeah, me, too. Here’s a mega-simple DIY deodorant that focuses on safe, effective ingredients. No muss, no fuss, no stink!
Top Tip: Tea tree, lavender and lemongrass essential oils are all powerful odor fighters. Add a few drops and you’ll be smelling sweet!
- Small glass jar with lid
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) of arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of baking soda or kaolin clay
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of coconut oil
- 5 drops of essential oil(s) of your choice
- In a small bowl, whisk the arrowroot powder with baking soda until well combined. Set aside.
- Place coconut oil in a small heatproof glass bowl. Microwave on High, stirring every 5 seconds, until melted and completely smooth. (The total time will depend on the strength of your microwave.)
- Whisk coconut oil into arrowroot mixture along with essential oil(s) until a paste forms. Pour into jar.
- Using fingers, rub a small amount of paste over underarm skin until absorbed.
- Store at room temperature for up to 1 year.
- Best for: Normal, Combination, Oily/acne-prone, Dry and Mature skin.
Keywords: diy deodorant, cruelty-free deodorant, vegan deodorant, homemade, body care
How Long Does DIY Deodorant Last?
The effectiveness of your deodorant will depend on a variety of factors including your activity level, outside temperature, and amount used. Putting a pea-sized amount of deodorant under your arms and adjusting as you see fit is a good way to start out. As humans we’re supposed to sweat during physical activity so the best way to mitigate your post-workout odor is to take a shower and then put on your DIY deodorant. Storage-wise, your DIY vegan deodorant should last about 3-6 months. If living in a warmer climate, consider keeping your jar in a cool, dry place to prevent it from melting.
If you try this DIY Vegan Deodorant, let us know what you think by leaving a comment and rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Fa
Vegan Gift Guides and More DIY Beauty to Explore:
- DIY Vegan Body Scrub Recipe
- DIY Vegan Solid Perfume Recipe
- Vegan Mother’s Day Gifts Guide
- Luxury Vegan Gift Ideas That Any Herbivore Will Love
- 15 Conscious Vegan Gift Ideas That Everyone Will Love!
- The Ultimate Vegan Gift Guide: 100+ Ideas for the Holidays & Beyond
DIY Vegan Deodorant courtesy of The Compassionate Chick’s Guide to DIY Beauty by Sunny Submaranian & Chrystle Fiedler ©2016 www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission. Available where books are sold. Article written by Michelle Cehn and edited by Amanda Meth. This post may contain affiliate links which help keep the lights on here at World of Vegan.