Today’s vegan body scrub recipe comes from The Compassionate Chick’s Guide to DIY Beauty—a book packed with 125 do-it-yourself natural and cruelty-free beauty recipes by Sunny Subramanian from Vegan Beauty Review.
The superstar ingredient in this vegan body scrub is coffee, which is chock-full of antioxidants that squash nasty free radicals and prevent signs of premature aging, wrinkles, sun spots and fine lines. The caffeine in coffee also improves circulation in the skin and reduces swelling and inflammation.
- 1⁄2 cup coconut oil 125 mL
- 1 cup freshly ground coffee or leftover coffee grounds 250 mL
- 1 cup vegan granulated sugar 250 mL
- 2 tsp vanilla powder 10 mL
- Large jar with lid
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, stir together coconut oil, coffee, sugar and vanilla powder until well combined. Spoon into jar.
- Using hands, massage a small amount of scrub all over skin in the shower, using circular motions.
- Rinse skin with warm water and pat dry with a towel. Follow with your favorite body moisturizer.
- Store in the shower for up to 2 months.
- Bone char is used to process many types of sugar, including granulated, brown and confectioner’s (icing) sugars. Health food stores often have specially labeled vegan sugars you can buy. Beet sugar is usually a vegan-friendly option.
Courtesy of The Compassionate Chick’s Guide to DIY Beauty by Sunny Submaranian & Chrystle Fiedler ©2016 www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission. Available where books are sold. Image credit: Michelle Cehn.