Spicy Vegan Slow-Cooker Tomato-Lentil Stew
This lentil stew is easy to toss together using pantry ingredients, and it freezes beautifully. It’s flexible, too—mix it up by adding any veggies you have in the fridge, like broccoli, cauliflower, or green beans.
Write a review
- 2 cups dry brown or green lentils, rinsed
- 5 cups water
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 cups peeled, chopped russet potatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup scrubbed chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons your favorite hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 vegetable bouillon cubes
- Combine the lentils, water, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, potatoes, onion, carrot, celery, hot sauce, garlic, cumin, chili powder, coriander, paprika, bay leaf, cayenne pepper, and bouillon cubes in a slow cooker; mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf, and serve.
- Ingredient Variation: If you don’t have bouillon cubes, you can use vegetable broth in place of water.
- PER SERVING: Calories: 517; Total fat: 2g; Protein: 32g; Sodium: 1,063mg; Fiber: 38g
World of Vegan https://www.worldofvegan.com/