For instance, cooking brown rice takes 45 minutes on the stovetop, but just 20 minutes in the Instant Pot. If you’re a busy person like I am (aren’t we all?), cutting your cooking time in half is a big deal! Plus, once you have a pressure cooker you can ditch your slow cooker and rice cooker. Yay for fewer appliances cluttering up the kitchen!
One of my favorite meals to make in my Instant Pot is a hearty vegan soup. Once you learn the basics there is no measuring required and no specific recipe that needs to be followed—you can just dump in whatever veggies, legumes, grains, and spices that you have on hand and go! Make sure there’s plenty of liquid (veggie broth or water with bouillon) and simply set the cooking time to whatever ingredient takes the longest.
For those who are new to the device and are looking for a great vegan Instant Pot recipe to start off with, here you go. My go-to soup recipe!Print
This lentil and vegetable soup is one of my go-to instant pot meals. It’s very versatile—you’re welcome to swap in your favorite veggies or anything that’s about to go bad in the fridge.
- 2 tablespoons of oil (any cooking oil will do)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 cups of water, or more if needed
- 3 vegetable bouillon cubes
- ½ cup of green lentils
- ½ cup of quick-cook barley
- 4 red potatoes, chopped
- 1 cup of broccoli florets
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (if you like it spiiiiicy)
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- ½ cup of diced tomato
- salt to taste
- 2 cups of kale, chopped
- optional: Sriracha for garnish
- Set your Instant Pot to “Sauté” and add the oil, onion, garlic, carrots, and celery. Allow to sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add the water, bouillon cubes, lentils, barley, potatoes, broccoli, tomato, red pepper flakes, and oregano. Using manual mode, set your Instant Pot to 8 minutes. Release pressure immediately when complete.
- Taste and add salt if needed. Stir in the kale and allow to soften in the hot soup for a minute or two before serving.
- Serve and garnish with Sriracha (if you like spice).
Keywords: barley, dairy-free, fast, instant pot, lentils, pressure cooker, soup, warm
More Spectacular Soup Recipes:
Easy Vegan Instant Pot Soup photos taken by Michelle Cehn. Recipe and photographs copyright of World of Vegan™, all rights reserved. Article edited by Amanda Meth. Please note that this article contains affiliate links which means shopping through them helps lights on at World of Vegan!