I don’t ever need an excuse to eat my greens, but my kids need a little convincing! This vegan kale popcorn recipe is a fun way to get those veggie servings in for the day. It is also extremely easy to make with just a few ingredients. The green flecks on this popcorn are so subtle that no one will believe they are eating four cups of kale.Print
This cheesy vegan kale crumble popcorn is a fun way to get your kids (or your spouse) to eat their greens!
For the kale crumbs
- 4 cups of lacinato kale, stems removed and torn into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 6 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons of seasoned salt (I used Penzey’s Spices Sandwich Sprinkle)
- 4 cups of popcorn (see recipe below)
- 3 tablespoons of dairy-free butter (such as Earth Balance)
For the popcorn (makes about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup popcorn kernels
- Toss kale with the olive oil, seasoned salt, and nutritional yeast.
- Place the kale in the basket of an air fryer at 370 degrees for 5 minutes. Do not overcook or the kale will become bitter. Crumble the kale into a bowl.
- To make the popcorn using a microwave popcorn popper, pour the oil and kernels in the popper. Cover and pop for 4 minutes. If using a pot, follow the same method, but place the pot over medium heat and cover. Cook for about 5-8 minutes, monitoring the pot closely. When the popping noise of the kernels slows, remove from the heat.
- Place the popcorn in a bowl. Melt the Earth Balance butter and pour over the popcorn. Immediately sprinkle the kale dust on top, and mix thoroughly and vigorously. You want the kale to stick to the popcorn.
- Serve in bowls and sprinkle any remaining kale crumbs on top.
Keywords: vegan snack, popcorn, dairy-free, gluten-free, kale, vegan, vegetarian
If you love kale chips, then you will love this recipe. You essentially make a batch, crush them up, and sprinkle the crumbs over freshly buttered popcorn. The simplest foods are always the most delicious!
I used an air fryer to make my chips, but you could also bake them in the first step. Instead of making your popcorn from scratch, you could also take some help from the store and buy a pre-popped bag. As I was creating this recipe, I was excited to realize that the season blend can be used as a template for tons of future kale popcorn recipes. Mix and match flavors to snack it up any way your taste buds crave—ranch, BBQ, smoky chipotle? Yum—the possibilities are endless! I chose to combine Penzey’s Spices Sandwich Sprinkle with nutritional yeast for a salty cheese flavor that hits my snack spot.
Kermit the Frog says it isn’t easy being green, but this kale popcorn couldn’t be simpler! Serve it as a superfoods enriched afternoon snack for the kids, or as a new munchie to smuggle in to the movie theater during your next matinee.
Sneak In Those Greens
If you’re looking for a fun way to get your kids (or yourself!) to get your greens in, this kale popcorn recipe may do the trick! Even better if you can put on your favorite film or television series to watch as you snack on your popcorn. Thanks to the kale and nutritional yeast in this recipe, your popcorn will pack a nutritious punch! Nutritional yeast offers a big dose of B vitamins and fiber, kale is full of iron and antioxidants, and popcorn is a delicious way to get in plenty of fiber.
Storing Your Vegan Kale Popcorn
If you end up with more than you can nosh on, stash this popcorn away in an airtight jar or reusable, airtight bag. Popcorn goes stale quickly so be sure to only take out however much you plan on eating.
More Snazzy Snacks to Try:
Vegan Kale Popcorn by Stephanie Dreyer for World of Vegan.Content and photographs copyright of World of Vegan™, all rights reserved. Article written by Stephanie Dreyer and edited by Amanda Meth. Please note that this article contains affiliate links which support our work at World of Vegan! For more family-friendly vegan recipes from Stephanie Dreyer, subscribe to the VeegMama newsletter here.