Celebrated vegan cookbook author and fellow food photographer Hannah Kaminsky just released her newest work of art. Meet her brand-new vegan cookbook: Real Food Really Fast. This cookbook has broad appeal to all, I imagine. Because who doesn’t want delicious home-cooked meals made in the least amount of time possible? I know I do.
Today we’re delighted to share one of the most popular vegan breakfast recipes from this cookbook: hash brown waffles. Epic? Why yes, yes they are. While this may at first glance seem like a Pinterest hack bound to fail, Hannah swears by this recipe.
What separates superlative hash browns from the merely adequate hash browns all comes down to texture. Shatteringly crisp on the outside yet tender, even borderline creamy on the inside, it’s a fine balance that’s difficult to strike. Using a waffle iron instead of a standard frying pan maximizes the surface contact for a far more satisfying crunchy crust, while the enclosure allows the spuds to essentially steam from within, ensuring perfectly tender bites through and through.
With that, here is the recipe! Enjoy!Print
This innovative spin on hash browns uses the power of the waffle iron to get extra crispy hash brown waffles. Grab your favorite ketchup and get ready to dig in!
- 1 pound of frozen shredded potatoes, thawed
- 1½ tablespoons of vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Squeeze excess water out of the shredded potatoes and toss in a large bowl with the melted vegan butter or coconut oil, salt, and pepper. Stirring until well incorporated. The shreds should be evenly coated before proceeding.
- Lightly grease the waffle maker. Distribute the potato mixture evenly and packing it in firmly. Close the lid tightly and cook on medium-high for 5-8 minutes (longer if using a thicker Belgian-style waffle iron), until golden brown all over. Serve right away, while still hot and crisp!
- You can find ready-to-cook shredded potatoes in the refrigerated section of some grocery stores, alongside prepared and packaged side dishes.
Keywords: dairy-free, gluten-free, hash browns, potatoes, vegan waffles
Perk Up Your Potatoes
Wondering what other delicious vegan side you could have for a bombastic breakfast? Here are just a few of our suggestions:
- Savory Scramble – A tofu scramble pairs perfectly with these hash brown waffles! You could mix in your favorite ingredients such as spinach, mushrooms, and bell peppers for a colorful and complete meal. You could also use an egg substitute such as the Just Egg or Follow Your Heart vegan scramble.
- Get Your Greens On – Cook up a bunch of your favorite greens to go along with your hash browns! If you’re looking for a kick then check out our Spicy Sesame Sautéed Kale. Spring mix also makes a great choice.
- Flavor Flair – Your possibilities for saucing up your hash brown waffles are endless! Keep it classic with ketchup, slice up some avocado, or get sweet ‘n’ salty with some maple syrup!
Hannah is imaginative, dedicated, and passionate about food and it shows through in all her recipe creations. She is also the author of My Sweet Vegan, Vegan Desserts, Vegan à la Mode, and Easy as Vegan Pie, and you can find more of her magic on her award-winning blog, Bitter Sweet Vegan.
More Magical Breakfast Ideas:
- Island Teriyaki Tofu Scramble
- Maple Drizzled Crispy Vegan French Toast
- Perfect Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes
Recipe reprinted with permission from Real Food, Really Fast by Hannah Kaminsky. Published January 2018 by Skyhorse Publishing. Please note that this article contains Amazon affiliate links which help us keep the lights on here at World of Vegan.