It’s time for a delicious summery and uber colorful salad recipe! Aren’t these “throw it into the bowl” salads amazing? So full of life and nutrients and this summer tomato salad is crazy-easy to prepare!
When it’s hot outside the last thing you want to do is cook, let alone eat something heavy and hot. That’s a recipe for lethargy. And that’s when these kinds of glorious salads come in. Get fresh ingredients, chop them up, toss them in a bowl, and you’re set! Best summer hack ever!
Summer Tomato Salad
This summer tomato salad is bursting with flavor from sweet cherry tomatoes and corn, creamy avocado, and zesty lime!
- 4 cups of cherry tomatoes halved or quartered
- 1.5 cups of frozen or canned corn kernels
- 1/3 cup of red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup of cilantro roughly chopped (or sub other herb such as green onion or parsley)
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 ripe avocados chopped into small chunks
If you are using frozen corn kernels, boil a small pot of water. Add the corn to the boiling water and reduce the heat. Boil gently for about 5 minutes, or until the corn is tender. If you are using canned corn, skip this step.
Add the tomatoes, corn, red onion, and cilantro (or other herbs) to a large mixing bowl. Toss to combine.
Squeeze the fresh lime juice into the bowl. Add the olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper.
Toss the salad to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings.
This salad tastes best when chilled. Just before serving, chop the avocado and add it to the salad, then gently toss and serve!
Eat The Rainbow!
We’ve heard this before, but it’s always a good reminder! Eating the rainbow means to add as many colorful fruits and veggies to your plate as possible, and this summer salad is the perfect example. Some green with the avocado, some red with the juicy cherry tomatoes, some bright yellow with the corn, and bright purple with the onions. A perfectly juicy and delicious rainbow.
Needless to say, you can add any extra veggies you like or have on hand. But I have to say, you’ll get extra points if those veggies are seasonal ones!
Go to your local farmers’ market (or nearby grocery store) and find fresh produce that looks vibrant. Keep an eye on prices! If you see tomatoes above their usual price, chances are they are off-season or come from a faraway land (which would make them not so fresh, right?).
Heading to your local farmers’ market will help you secure the best prices on the freshest local and seasonal produce. The fruits and veggies you’ll find in these stands typically come straight from the land they were harvested in, so you won’t get fresher than that! And finally, it’s always great to support local farmers who sometimes struggle to stay afloat when going up against huge retailers.
If you don’t have time to visit farmers’ markets, you can look into local produce delivery services like Imperfect Product and Farm Fresh to You. These provide a convenient way to support local farmers and get fresh local produce without having to leave your home.
A Few Tips For The Perfect Summer Tomato Salad!
Whipping up a salad isn’t rocket science, but there are a few tips and tricks that can take elevate your experience eating them from okay to glorious. Shall we begin?
- Try to find some nicely ripe avocados and the sweetest tomatoes you can find. They can make all the difference! Seriously. You can easily taste the difference between an organic heirloom tomato and a conventional tomato from the grocery store. Investing in higher quality produce pays off. We want this salad to be super creamy, sweet, and juicy. Yum!
- Make sure you have some time to chill the salad! Even if it’s just for 30 mins and the reason is that it will bring out the flavors and blend them all together!
- Don’t try to save any leftovers. This summer tomato salad is one of those that should be eaten rather quickly. But that shouldn’t be a problem—it’s so delicious you’ll probably want to gobble it all up!
So friends, get inspired by all those beautiful colorful veggies and dive right into preparing this incredible salad!
Looking For More Colorful Recipes? Look No Further!
Summer tomato salad photos by Kathy Chrzaszcz for World of Vegan. Recipe and photographs copyright of World of Vegan™, all rights reserved. Please note that this article contains affiliate links which means shopping through them helps lights on at World of Vegan!