I love Thai curry—but I always assumed it would be difficult to make, and something I would only be able to enjoy at restaurants. Thankfully, my good friend and vegan chef Tess Challis shared this vegan panang curry recipe from her cookbook Radiant Health, Inner Wealth with me and I’ve fallen head-over-heels in love!
First, because it’s foolproof. And second, because it tastes just like the restaurant curries I have long loved. Plus, you can save money by making it at home!
You can whip up this creamy vegan curry sauce in just about 5 minutes, and serve it with rice or rice noodles with steamed veggies.
I now always keep red curry paste and coconut milk in my pantry so I’m ready when my vegan curry cravings strike. Thanks for sharing your magic, Tess!Print
This “cheater” panang sauce comes together in a flash and is delicious over Asian noodles or stir-fries with rice. Because it’s so rich, I often just serve it over steamed rice and vegetables, as it adds so much flavor and depth!
- one can (14 oz) of coconut milk, full fat
- ¼ cup of sugar (or ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar)
- ¼ cup of red curry paste
- ¼ cup of peanut butter, smooth
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon of grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (optional)
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth and emulsified. Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to two weeks. To serve, simply reheat over low heat until warm.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: asian, curry, easy, panang, sauce, thai
How to Serve It Up:
- Ready Your Rice – Panang curry is perfect for rice! You can steam up some of your favorite rice to enjoy with this sauce or even make a panang curry fried rice if you fancy.
- Nom Up Your Noodles – Udon, ramen, soba, and rice noodles all go great with this panang curry sauce. You could even use zucchini or potato noodles!
- Drizzle on Your Salad – Though traditionally enjoyed with rice or noodles, you could totally make an Asian salad with this sauce! Cook up some tofu, chop some veggies, and enjoy!
Store Your Sauce
You can keep your vegan panang curry sauce in an airtight container for up to two weeks! Freezing is not recommended since the texture would be affected..
More Saucy Recipes:
Vegan Panang Curry recipe by Tess Challis. Food photography by Michelle Cehn, copyright of World of Vegan. Article edited by Amanda Meth. Please note that this article may contain affiliate links which supports our work at World of Vegan.