I have long adored Jackie Sobon for her magic in the kitchen, and her stunning food photography that makes me watch to jump through the screen to devour whatever dish she’s showcasing. So you better believe I jumped with glee when she offered to share this recipe from her new book!
This new book is for home cooks on a time crunch, which I’m sure you can relate to. And this is one of her favorite recipes from her book—creamy berry polenta! Breakfast polenta, you ask? Yes, it’s a thing. Now you can give oats a little break and give polenta a try. See how you like it!
- 2 cups unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup polenta grits
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup Simple Cashew Cream (optional)
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring the nondairy milk and water to a boil. Stir in the polenta grits, and adjust the heat to medium-low. Cook—covered but vented, stirring occasionally—for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the polenta is creamy. Stir in the maple syrup, and add salt to taste. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- While the polenta is cooking, warm the blueberries, blackberries, and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, adjust the heat to medium-low, and cook until the berries start to break down, about 10 minutes. Lightly mash the berries if they are not breaking apart.
- Divide the creamy polenta between 4 bowls, and top each with some berry mixture. Dollop 1 tablespoon of Simple Cashew Cream on top of each bowl (if using), and serve warm.
- Note: If you do not have fresh berries on hand, frozen will also work. You may have to cook them longer because they retain more water.
Vegan Yack Attack On The Go! © 2018 Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc. Text © 2018 Jackie Sobon. First Published in 2018 by Fair Winds Press, an imprint of The Quarto Group, 100 Cummings Center, Suite 265-D, Beverly, MA 01915, USA. This article contains Amazon affiliate links which help us keep the lights on here at World of Vegan.