I have long adored Jackie Sobon for her magic in the kitchen, and her stunning food photography that makes me watch to jump through the screen to devour whatever dish she’s showcasing. So you better believe I jumped with glee when she offered to share this berry breakfast polenta recipe from her new book!
This new book is for home cooks on a time crunch, which I’m sure you can relate to. And this is one of her favorite recipes from her book—creamy berry polenta! Breakfast polenta, you ask? Yes, it’s a thing. Now you can give oats a little break and give polenta a try. See how you like it!Print
Are you sick of oats? I don’t think I’ll ever be, but it is still nice to switch up my grains in the morning. Polenta cooked with non-dairy milk is extra creamy and goes wonderfully with warmed berries. Extra points for keeping some simple cashew cream on hand to dollop onto this delicious breakfast.
- 2 cups unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup polenta grits
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- pinch of salt
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup simple cashew cream (optional)
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring the non-dairy milk and water to a boil. Stir in the polenta grits and adjust the heat to medium-low. Cook—covered but vented, stirring occasionally—for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the polenta is creamy. Stir in the maple syrup, and add salt to taste. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- While the polenta is cooking, warm the blueberries, blackberries, and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, adjust the heat to medium-low, and cook until the berries start to break down, about 10 minutes. Lightly mash the berries if they are not breaking apart.
- Divide the creamy polenta between 4 bowls, and top each with some berry mixture. Dollop 1 tablespoon of simple cashew cream on top of each bowl (if using), and serve warm.
- Note: If you do not have fresh berries on hand, frozen will also work. You may have to cook them longer because they retain more water.
Keywords: breakfast, corn, dairy-free, grits, polenta, warm
Creamy Corn Goodness
If you’re unfamiliar with polenta, now is your chance to try it! Polenta is a traditional Italian dish made from boiled cornmeal and is incredibly versatile as a base in warm or cold dishes year round. It’s naturally gluten-free and is rich in vitamins A and C and also offers a healthy dose of carotenoids which are thought to decrease the risk of certain cancers and eye disease. Also a good source of fiber and protein, this berry breakfast polenta is the perfect choice for kickstarting your day!
Stoneground or Consistent Grind?
When it comes to buying dried polenta, there are two grind methods to look out for when you’re in the grocery aisle. Stoneground polenta produces greater grain variance while consistent grind polenta has a more—you guessed it—consistent grain size. Either one is fine, it all boils down to personal preference!
How to Serve It Up
There are infinite ways to make your polenta pop! Here are some suggestions for a boisterous breakfast:
- Vary Your Berries – Not big on blackberries? Add in some strawberries instead! Other berries to consider include lingonberries, raspberries, and huckleberries.
- Sprinkle the Spice – Cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and allspice are great additions to bring your polenta from plain to gratifying!
- Creamy & Dreamy – Add your favorite non-dairy whipped cream for a delightful dynamic to your breakfast. If you’re feeling adventurous, give our Aquafaba Whipped Cream or Coconut Whipped Cream a try.
Beating the Breakfast Blues
Breakfast is touted as being one of the most important meals of the day and while many of us get into a habit of sticking to our favorite cereal with non-dairy milk or overnight oats, there’s no reason not to branch out every once in a while! We hope you enjoy this delicious dish that’s been a staple in Italy for a long while and have fun making it your own. Here’s to beating the breakfast blues and keeping our bellies full!
More Comforting Corn Dishes:
Vegan Berry Breakfast Polenta recipe published by Vegan Yack Attack On The Go! © 2018 Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc. Text © 2018 Jackie Sobon. First Published in 2018 by Fair Winds Press, an imprint of The Quarto Group, 100 Cummings Center, Suite 265-D, Beverly, MA 01915, USA. Photos by Jackie Sobon. This article contains Amazon affiliate links which help us keep the lights on here at World of Vegan.