The kids are back in school, which means it is back to packing school lunches! Sandwiches are a go-to easy option that you can change up a dozen different ways, but what about thinking outside of the sandwich box? Below are 3 fun and easy vegan school lunch ideas to put some variety into your kids’ lunch boxes.
Vegetable Sushi Rolls
These rolls are a cinch to customize based on what you have in the house or what your kids like. You can make these the night before and store in airtight lunch containers for added convenience.
- 1 nori sheet
- ¼ – ½ cup sushi rice, prepared according to package directions
- ¼ Persian cucumber, sliced into matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon shredded carrots
- 3 slices of avocado
- 2 slices baked tofu
- Place a nori sheet on a sushi mat, and spread the rice across the nori sheet, leaving about ¼ inch border all around.
- Lay the tofu, vegetables, and finally, the avocado in a straight line on the part of the nori sheet closest to you.
- Using the sushi mat, roll the nori away from you, pressing the roll with the mat as you roll.
- Slice the roll into 8 pieces and serve with shoyu or tamari.
Vegan Beef & Bean Taquitos
Taquitos are such a fun finger food for kids. These can be made ahead and frozen, which is an added bonus! Make a batch and just reheat them when you are ready to pack lunch.
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/2 package Beyond Meat Beefy Crumbles
- 1/4 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup Daiya cheddar style shreds
- Salsa and guacamole, to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute the onion in 1 tablespoon oil and cook until golden brown.
- Add the Beyond Meat and cook until heated through (about 7 minutes).
- Stir in the black beans and taco seasoning. Cook 3 more minutes and set aside.
- While the filling is cooking, heat the tortillas in the microwave with a paper towel for about 30 seconds to soften them. (You can heat 2-3 tortillas at a time).
- Place 2 tablespoons of filling in a horizontal line towards the far end of one tortilla. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese on top. Roll the tortilla with the seam down and place on a foil covered baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with salsa and guacamole, or allow to cool and freeze in a ziploc bag.
Chili Mac Casserole
Mac & cheese and chili! My kids love this hot lunch combining two of their favorite foods. This casserole is super easy to make with some prepared ingredients from the store. Let this meal multi-task for you by serving it for dinner, and then using the leftovers for lunch the next day. To pack, fill a thermos with hot water for five minutes and then, remove the water. Heat the chili mac and spoon into the thermos.
- 2 boxes of Earth Balance Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 2 14.5 ounce cans of vegan chili
- 1 14.5 ounce can of whole plum tomatoes
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup of Daiya cheddar style shreds
- Cook macaroni and cheese according to package directions.
- Layer the bottom of a casserole dish with half of the macaroni.
- Spread 1 can of chili over the macaroni and cheese.
- Continue with another layer of macaroni, followed by the other can of chili.
- Spread the salsa over the chili.
- Drain and slice the tomatoes. Arrange in one layer over the salsa.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes until cheese is melted and casserole is heated all the way through.