This hand roll has all the flavors of a veggie sushi roll but takes half the time to prepare. The best part? It’s so much fun forming the sushi—it is edible art, after all. Plus, there are so many different fillings you can add to your hand roll, making it a great addition to an impromptu dinner party. The best part is that you get to enjoy it with a glass of your favorite cold Japanese beer or hot sake, depending on the weather.
FOR THE RICE
- 1 cup of sushi rice (or brown rice)
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of evaporated cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 (6-ounce) block of gluten-free baked tofu, cut into thin matchsticks
- ½ ripe avocado, peeled and cut into thin segments
- ½ red or orange bell pepper, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 carrot, cut into long strips
- 1 Persian (or ¼ English) cucumber, halved and cut into thin strips
- 4 toasted nori sheets, halved
- 2 tablespoons of wasabi powder mixed with 1 tablespoon of water (optional)
- ½ cup pickled ginger
FOR THE GINGER-TAMARI SAUCE
- ½ cup of vegan mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons of tamari
- 2 teaspoons of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons of rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of brown rice syrup
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
TO PREPARE THE RICE
- Cook rice according to package directions. When cooked, transfer to a large bowl. With a wooden paddle, incorporate the rice vinegar, sugar, and sea salt into rice until slightly sticky. Set aside to cool.
TO PREPARE THE FILLING
- Arrange the tofu, avocado, bell pepper, carrot, and cucumber on a plate within easy reach.
TO FORM THE HAND ROLLS
- Place 1 piece nori (shiny-side down) in one hand. With dampened other hand, spread about ¼ cup cooked sushi rice evenly over half the nori in a square.
- Place small amount of desired fillings in a diagonal line across rice, pointing toward thumb.
- Gently roll into a cone shape and seal edge with a few grains of sushi rice or with prepared wasabi (if using). Serve with ginger.
TO PREPARE THE GINGER-TAMARI SAUCE
- Whisk the mayonnaise, tamari, ginger, vinegar, brown rice syrup, sea salt, and pepper in a bowl until uniform.
- Drizzle sauce over hand rolls and serve with pickled ginger and wasabi.
- Tip: Don’t overstuff your sushi! It’s a beginner’s mistake to get overzealous and fill your hand roll to the brim. You’ll make it very difficult to seal and eat.
Keywords: fish-free, hand roll, Japanese, nori, sushi, tamari, vegan sushi