Vegan pizza lovers rejoice! This recipe for homemade vegan pepperoni will make your dreams of having a Vegan Meat Lover’s pie come true! Also great for spicing up a pasta sauce or salad.
- 1 cup (150 g) of vital wheat gluten
- ½ cup (120 ml) of water
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of tamari, soy sauce, or Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons of red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons of organic sugar
- 2 teaspoons of whole fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes (more or less as desired)
- 1 teaspoon of ground mustard
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Place the vital wheat gluten in a large bowl.
- Put the water, oil, tamari, tomato paste, vinegar, smoked paprika, sugar, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, and ground mustard in a blender and process until the fennel seeds are coarsely ground.
- Pour into the vital wheat gluten, add the garlic, and combine thoroughly with a sturdy silicone spatula to form a dough. Knead the dough in the bowl until it exhibits some elasticity, about 1 minute. Divide the dough in half.
- Lay a 12-inch-long sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil on a work surface. Shape one portion of the dough into a slender log about 6 inches long and place it near the edge of the foil. Lift the edge of the foil over the dough and begin rolling into a tight cylinder. Twist the ends tightly to seal. Bend the ends in half to lock them tight. Wrap in a second sheet of foil in the same manner. Repeat the shaping and double-wrapping technique with the second portion of dough. If you will be oven baking the dough (rather than pressure cooking it), wrap each package in a third sheet of foil for reinforcement.
- To pressure cook, put 3 cups of water in the cooker and put the trivet in place. Add the packages, seal the lid, close the steam valve, and cook on high for 1 hour. Turn the unit off and let the pressure release naturally for 30 minutes.
- To oven bake (instead of pressure cook), preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees C). Put the packages directly on the middle oven rack and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove the packages and let cool. Then refrigerate the packages for 8 hours to optimize the texture and make thin slicing easier. The pepperoni is ready to eat or use in recipes; it does not require any additional finishing. Slice thick or thin and use as needed.
Variation: For individual snack-sized pepperoni sausages, or pepperettes, divide the dough into 6 equal portions. Wrap and steam the dough for 45 minutes.
Keywords: meatless, meat-free, vegan pepperoni, pizza, topping, Italian