Warm up this season with some delicious vegan french onion soup. This soup is scrumptious as it is, but if you have a slice of vegan cheese on hand feel free to melt it on top of the soup for that classic French Onion flair. Just pop it on top of an oven-friendly bowl of the soup and broil for 1-2 minutes until the cheese melts. Yum!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 5 medium-sized red onions (peeled and sliced)
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 5 cups of vegetable broth (or equivalent amount of vegan bouillon and water)
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- vegan croutons (to taste)
- 4 slices of vegan cheese (optional)
In a large soup pot over medium heat, add in olive oil, allow to heat, and then add the sliced onions. Allow onions to brown for about 15 to 20 mins, stirring occasionally (every 2-3 minutes).
Add the balsamic vinegar and bay leaf and dried oregano. Keep stirring and cook for another 5 mins.
- Add the vegetable stock and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let it boil for 5 mins.
- Serve and enjoy with some croutons!
Want to add melted cheese on top, like classic french onion soup? Serve in an oven-proof bowl, top with your favorite vegan cheese slices, and broil for a minute or two just until cheese melts.