This family recipe for vegan Mexican rice is delicious served as a side, used in burritos, topped with fajita veggies, stuffed in roasted peppers, and so much more. Hope you love this vegan Spanish rice as much as we do!
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- ¼ of a large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup medium grain rice
- 8oz can of tomato sauce
- 2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium-sized pan.
- Add onion and garlic and let cook until onions become translucent.
- Add the uncooked rice and fry for a few minutes until golden.
- Add tomato sauce and two cups of water, then stir with salt and pepper.
- Bring water to a boil, cover the pan with a lid and bring down heat to a medium-low temperature. Let it sit for 20 minutes at medium-low heat (without removing the lid) until the liquid has completely absorbed.
- Remove the lid and serve!
Keywords: vegan, mexican, spanish, rice, gluten-free, side, comfort food