These tried-and-true vegan aquafaba meringue cookies have been featured on catering menus, in the Wicked Healthy cookbook, and make novice vegans feel like all-star chefs. They are easy to make using magical aquafaba (chickpea brine) and have a delicate almond vanilla flavor. Have fun with fruit powders to make the all sorts of jazzy colors!
- Plant-Based Meringue (see instructions in the article above)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- seeds scraped from ½ vanilla bean
- ¼ cup finely ground unsalted roasted almonds, optional
- Preheat the oven to 200ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Make the meringue until it is fully whipped. Whip the almond extract and vanilla seeds into the meringue.
- Spoon the meringue into a pastry bag fitted with a round tip. Or use a zipper-lock bag and cut off a corner. If your parchment is curling up from the baking sheets, dollop a little meringue under each corner to secure it. Pipe cookies into pointy mounds about 1½ inches in diameter. They should look like big Hershey’s kisses. You need only about ½ inch space between cookies because they won’t expand much during baking. Sprinkle the ground almonds, if using, evenly over the cookies.
- Bake until the cookies look dry and off-white in color, 2 hours. Rotate the pans halfway through the baking for even heating. Cool completely on the baking sheets. Store in well-sealed containers. Humidity and moisture will make the cookies sticky, so store them in a cool, dry cupboard.
- RASPBERRY MERINGUE COOKIES:: When making the meringue, add ⅓ cup powdered freeze-dried raspberries (buzzed in a clean spice grinder) along with the sugar. Omit the vanilla and almonds, and substitute raspberry extract for the almond extract.
- LEMON MERINGUE COOKIES: When making the meringue, add 2 tablespoons lemon peel powder (buzz the dried lemon peel in a clean spice grinder) along with the sugar. Omit the vanilla and almonds, and substitute lemon extract for the almond extract.
- CANDY CANE MERINGUE COOKIES: When making the meringue, reduce the sugar by 2 tablespoons and add 3 to 4 tablespoons crushed candy canes along with the sugar while whipping. Omit the vanilla and almonds, and substitute 1 teaspoon peppermint extract or a few drops of food-grade peppermint essential oil for the almond extract.
Keywords: almonds, cookies, dairy-free, egg-free, meringue, sweets, treats