These vegan meatball subs are easy to make and will satisfy any meat-lover’s cravings for a hearty, savory meal. If you like leftovers or are cooking for more than two, double the recipe!
- ½ jar (12 oz) of organic vegan pasta sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon of dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon of dried basil
- ⅛ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- 1 package of frozen vegan meatballs (I’ve used Gardein and Beyond Meat)
- ½ chopped bell pepper (or 1 cup frozen bell peppers)
- ¼ cup of chopped onion
- ¼ diced jalapeño (optional for additional spice)
- hoagie rolls (deli fresh—I’ve also used whole grain)
- vegan mozzarella cheese (I’ve used grated Miyoko’s mozz and Field Roast Chao slices)
- In a large saucepan add marinara sauce and spices and mix thoroughly.
- Then add frozen meatballs, cover over medium heat, and allow to come to a boil (about 15 minutes). Reduce heat to medium-low, add bell peppers, onions, and optional jalapeño and allow to simmer, covered, for 30 minutes (or until meatballs are hot all the way through), stirring occasionally.
- To prepare rolls, slice open and use your fingers to compress the inner roll. Add cheese inside the roll and heat in microwave for 10-15 seconds per roll to soften and melt.
- Fill each roll with piping hot meatballs and sauce. (If desired, add extra cheese on top and broil briefly to melt.)
- If you’re cooking for more than two or love leftovers, double the recipe! The leftover meatballs and sauce make a great addition to a pasta marinara for dinner the following night.
- You can find vegan hoagie rolls at many mainstream grocery stores in their fresh-baked section—but it will take some label reading! I’ve found them at both Safeway and Ralph’s.
Keywords: garden, hoagie, Italian, sandwich, sub, vegan meatballs