The perfect vegan matcha ice cream that takes just minutes of effort and tastes like you got it from an ice cream shop! You’ll need an ice cream maker (and make sure you freeze the basin for at least 24 hours in advance of making this).
2 cans of coconut milk
5 tablespoons of sugar
7 tablespoons of agave nectar
3 tablespoons of matcha powder
⅛ teaspoon of of salt
½ cup of chocolate chips, roughly chopped (or mini vegan chocolate chips)
- Advance Prep: Freeze the ice cream maker bowl for at least 24 hours before beginning (or follow ice cream maker directions). This is an essential step for getting the right ice cream consistency!
- In a blender, add the coconut milk, sugar, agave nectar, matcha powder, and salt and blend until completely smooth. Pour into a bowl, cover, and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour to chill (longer is fine too).
- Set up your ice cream maker with the fully-frozen canister, turn it on, and gently pour in the chilled matcha mixture. Allow ice cream maker to run until the matcha mixture turns from liquid to thick soft serve. This usually takes about 10-15 minutes, but look for visual signs of readiness and follow your ice cream maker’s instructions as the time can vary significantly.
- As soon as the ice cream maker is done, using a spatula, quickly scoop all the soft ice cream into a storage container and gently fold in the chocolate. The ice cream will be very soft (similar to soft serve) and will melt quickly, so work fast and cover and transfer to the freezer as soon as you’re done!
- Allow to chill in the freezer for at least 4 hours (or overnight) before enjoying!
Keywords: vegan, vegetarian, dessert, matcha, Japanese, plant-based, easy, dairy-free