This lentil and vegetable soup is one of my go-to instant pot meals. It’s very versatile—you’re welcome to swap in your favorite veggies or anything that’s about to go bad in the fridge.
- 2 tablespoons of oil (any cooking oil will do)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 cups of water, or more if needed
- 3 vegetable bouillon cubes
- ½ cup of green lentils
- ½ cup of quick-cook barley
- 4 red potatoes, chopped
- 1 cup of broccoli florets
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (if you like it spiiiiicy)
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- ½ cup of diced tomato
- salt to taste
- 2 cups of kale, chopped
- optional: Sriracha for garnish
- Set your Instant Pot to “Sauté” and add the oil, onion, garlic, carrots, and celery. Allow to sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add the water, bouillon cubes, lentils, barley, potatoes, broccoli, tomato, red pepper flakes, and oregano. Using manual mode, set your Instant Pot to 8 minutes. Release pressure immediately when complete.
- Taste and add salt if needed. Stir in the kale and allow to soften in the hot soup for a minute or two before serving.
- Serve and garnish with Sriracha (if you like spice).
Keywords: barley, dairy-free, fast, instant pot, lentils, pressure cooker, soup, warm