These delightful lemon cupcakes are perfect for celebrating a vegan Easter, a youngster’s birthday, or any time! The delicate lemon flavor and bright turmeric-colored vegan buttercream frosting make these cupcakes stand out from the cupcake crowd. Have fun with the frosting and transform it into little chicks, or just dollop it on and sprinkle the top with some lemon zest. Whichever way you serve them up, they’re sure to delight!
- 1 cup of soy milk (any type will work)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- ¾ cup of granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup of vegan butter, melted
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of vegan butter
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 5 teaspoons of pure lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric (spice)
DECORATIVE CHICKPEEP TOPPINGS
VEGAN LEMON CUPCAKES:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake tin with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, add the soy milk, lemon zest, and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and mix well.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes. This creates a vegan buttermilk alternative.
- In a large bowl, add the melted vegan butter and sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add the soy milk mixture and stir to combine.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and gently stir with a spoon just until combined.
- Using a spoon, divide the batter evenly into 12 cupcake tins.
- Bake for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool fully before frosting.
VEGAN LEMON TURMERIC FROSTING:
- In a large bowl add the vegan butter and, using a hand mixer, whip until soft.
- Add the powdered sugar a little bit at a time to prevent spilling as you blend it with the butter using the hand mixer.
- Add the vanilla extract, lemon juice, and turmeric and whip until you have fluffy frosting. If the frosting is too thick, add a splash of plant-based milk one teaspoon at a time. If the frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar ¼ cup at a time.
This frosting will be softer when warm, and will firm up when refrigerated.
Keywords: cupcakes, dairy-free, egg-free, dessert, lemon, easter, spring, kids, party, vegetarian, baking, frosting