Cabbage and noodles is a popular Polish dish that is absolutely delicious, although it’s usually loaded with butter, egg noodles, and sometimes meat. This vegan cabbage and noodles recipe is a family favorite made with simple plant-based ingredients. It’s a great weeknight dinner that’s easy to pull together. In my family, this is a dish that’s always at our holiday gatherings, too.
- 1 pound of pasta (torchiette is my favorite in this but fusilli, bowtie, or other pasta shapes will work too)
- ⅓ cup of olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large head of Napa cabbage or green cabbage, roughly chopped into strips or chunks about 1-inch wide.
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain, rinse, and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped cabbage to the sauté pan and using a spatula, mix it together with the garlic and onions. The cabbage will shrink down dramatically while it cooks, so don’t worry about mixing it all thoroughly in the beginning. Cook the cabbage for 5-8 minutes, until soft.
- Add salt, pepper, and sliced green onions, and mix well. Add drained pasta, mix well, and remove from heat. Taste the cabbage and noodles and if you’d like to add additional salt (to taste), you can do so here.
- Pour the pasta cabbage mixture into a baking dish and bake in pre-heated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
Keywords: vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, plant-based, soy-free, sugar-free, polish, dinner, cabbage, vegetables, pasta