Treat your family to some tasty tofu kebabs! The roasted veggies really turn this recipe up a notch. Either broiled or grilled, these sweet and savory sticks will satisfy with lots of plant-based protein.
- 2 tablespoons of tamari
- 2 tablespoons of pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1 (14-ounce) package of extra-firm tofu, drained, patted dry, and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 ounces of broccoli crowns, cut into florets
- 2 ounces of snow peas (about 1 cup), ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon of avocado oil, plus more for greasing
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups of cubed fresh pineapple
- Handful of fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk together the tamari, pineapple juice, vinegar, ginger, garlic, and turmeric to combine well.
- Add the tofu to the marinade and toss to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- About 20 minutes before serving, preheat the broiler with a rack positioned 6 inches from the heat source.
- In a large bowl, toss together the carrot, bell pepper, broccoli, snow peas, and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Spread the vegetables into a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil the vegetables, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned in spots, 5 to 10 minutes (broiler strengths vary, so watch closely to make sure the vegetables don’t burn). Remove the pan from the broiler and cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm; keep the broiler on.
- Lightly grease a second rimmed baking sheet with oil. Remove the tofu from the marinade. Skewer alternating pieces of tofu and pineapple on 4 skewers, placing them on the prepared baking sheet as you go.
- Broil, turning the skewers occasionally until the tofu and pineapple are browned in spots, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve the skewers and vegetables garnished with cilantro and scallions.
- Make sure you completely drain and dry your tofu, or it won’t absorb the marinade as well.
- If using wooden skewers, soak them for 20 minutes first to prevent burning.
- Instead of broiling the vegetables and skewers, you can put the vegetables on a sheet of aluminum foil, wrap it around them to make a packet, and cook them alongside the assembled skewers on an outdoor grill.
Keywords: grilled tofu, vegan kebab, vegan grill, grilled veggies, tofu skewers