We make our own bacon out of one of our most beloved staples: tofu. When baked together with our special smoky bacon marinade, the tofu becomes reminiscent of traditional bacon—but without harming a soul.
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1 (16-ounce block) extra- firm tofu, pressed (we highly recommend vacuum-sealed tofu)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ½ tablespoon liquid smoke
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9 × 9inch baking pan with the oil.
- Cut the tofu block in half lengthwise (you will be using only half, so return the other portion to the fridge to use in another recipe). Cut the tofu lengthwise into thin strips about ⅛ inch thick, or as thinly as possible. Optionally, you may then cut these strips in half lengthwise. Place the tofu in the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes. Flip and bake for 5 more minutes.
- While the tofu is baking, in a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, water, maple syrup, and liquid smoke.
- Remove the pan from the oven and pour the liquid blend over the tofu. Return the tofu to the oven, bake for 10 minutes, flip, and bake for 5 more minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Keywords: tofu, bacon, breakfast, side, dairy-free, vegetarian