Is there anything better than some homemade sweet potato fries? Sweet and salty, crunchy and tender. These vegan air fryer sweet potato fries are a home run!
- 1 large orange-fleshed sweet potato or yam (sliced into 1/3 inch thick spears, as pictured.)
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt (plus additional for sprinkling)
- Wash sweet potato, slice off and discard the rough tips at each end, and place on a cutting board.
- Slice into 1/3 inch wide french-fry-shaped spears. To do so, use a shark chef’s knife and slice sweet potato in half lengthwise, placing the flat surfaces of each down on the cutting board to stabilize for easier (and safer) slicing. If you have a particularly long sweet potato, cut in half again (to shorten the length of the fries). For crispier fries slice thinner, and for softer fries slice slightly thicker. Fries should be uniform in size so they cook evenly.
- In a medium bowl, add the sweet potato spears, oil, red pepper flakes, and salt, and toss well.
- Place sweet potato spears in your air fryer basket, arrange in a single layer, and cook at 380 degrees F (190 celsius) for 10 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes, checking midway to ensure you don’t burn your fries). If you want them crispier, cook them one or two minutes longer—just be careful not to burn them. It’s okay if they get a little browned though, those are my favorite crispy parts!
- Sprinkle with additional salt to taste, and enjoy hot!
The sweet potatoes do not need to be peeled for this recipe, but should be rinsed and scrubbed under running water.