Curb your craving for a pre-meal munch with these crunchy chickpeas. A healthy recipe with loads of fiber and satisfaction. Easy to make and insanely addictive for snacking!
- 1 can of garbanzo beans
- ½ tablespoon of vegetable oil (or chickpea water)
- ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne (optional, for a spicy kick)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425 F.
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas, reserving some chickpea water if not using oil.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the drained chickpeas, oil (or water) and spices.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Pour your seasoned chickpeas onto the lined baking sheet and make sure they are spread out evenly.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes. After that time, use a spoon or spatula to turn over your chickpeas so that they can crisp up on the other side.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Keep an eye on them at this point so that they don’t overbake or burn.
- Take out of the oven and let cool for at least 5-10 minutes before eating.
- The chickpeas will crisp up even more if you let them cool for at least 5 minutes.
- Make sure to turn the chickpeas halfway through baking so that you don’t have overdone and underdone sides.
- If you’re not using oil in this recipe, the chickpeas will become crunchy, but not as crisp as they would be if you used oil. They will still taste delicious.
- Spices can be added or subtracted easily. If you like the flavor of dill or onion powder (or any other spice), add a ¼ teaspoon or more to your liking. If you don’t like the taste of smoked paprika or garlic powder, simply omit. This recipe is really fun to experiment with because some of the most unlikely additions can make these chickpea snacks taste terrific!
- If you are salt sensitive, feel free to use ‘no salt added’ garbanzo beans.
- If using chickpeas made from scratch, no problem! Each can holds approximately 1.5 cups of chickpeas, so you can easily substitute your own.
Keywords: appetizer, chickpeas, crunchy, garbanzo beans, roasted, savory, snack