Potatoes and greens are one of the oldest and greatest food combinations and today we have a delicious take in the form of adorable and tasty garlic potato kale cakes thanks to Mary Mattern. Get your forks ready and dig in!
- 6 russet potatoes, peeled, cubed, and cooked
- 3 cups of finely chopped kale leaves
- ½ cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of vegan margarine
- 3 tablespoons of sifted unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 bunch of scallions, sliced, for garnish
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add salt, and cook potatoes.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the same pot. Add the kale and toss for around 5 minutes so the heat from the potato wilts the kale leaves.
- Add the almond milk, vegan margarine, flour, garlic, onion powder, parsley, pepper, and sea salt and blend with an immersion blender (or blend in batches in a regular blender) until mostly smooth, with some remaining potato chunks (you want some texture).
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Shape the kale-potato mixture with your hands into ¼-inch-thick patties. Place them on parchment paper.
- Once the oil is hot, use a metal spatula to place the cakes in the oil. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Transfer the patties to a plate and top each with a dollop of vegan sour cream and scallion.
Keywords: mary mattern, nom yourself, potato cakes, kale, gluten-free, appetizer, snack, vegan snack,