Pita is a yeast-leavened, round flatbread with a puffy pocket, commonly eaten in the Middle East and neighboring countries. It’s made with flour, olive oil, yeast, salt, and a touch of sugar to aid in fermenting. Once you make this bread homemade, you won’t want to go back to store bought. So warm and delicious!
- 2½ cups (300 grams) of all-purpose flour, plus extra for kneading
- 1½ cups (360 mls) of lukewarm water, divided
- 1½ teaspoons of active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon of light brown sugar
- 1 cup (125 grams) of whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of canola or olive oil
- Combine 1 cup of all-purpose flour and 1 cup of lukewarm water with all of the yeast and sugar into a mixing bowl. Mix with a fork.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to ferment for 30 minutes until thick and frothy.
- Add 1 cup of all purpose flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour , ½ cup of lukewarm water, and salt. Fork mix until a sticky dough comes together.
- Transfer to a clean, floured surface and knead for around 10 minutes, gradually adding ½ cup of flour and a teaspoon of olive oil. The dough will become smooth and springy to the touch.
- Shape dough into a ball and place into a mixing bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rise for 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
- Tip the risen dough onto a floured surface and knead for 1 minute. Use a sharp knife to cut into 8-10 equal pieces and form each into a ball with your hands.
- Cover and allow to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Roll each ball into a flat circle, cover and allow to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Lightly oil the skillet and heat over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- One at a time, cook pitas in the hot skillet for 1-2 minutes each side until they puff.
Added variations to the end of Step 4:
- Crunch – add chopped pumpkin or sunflower seeds to add flavor, texture, and nutrition
- Sweetness – add chopped raisins or currants, orange zest, or ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- Savory – add chopped, baked garlic, and ½ teaspoon of turmeric for a savory, golden pita
Keywords: pita, bread, homemade bread, diy pita, dairy-free, egg-free bread, vegan, vegetarian, pita pocket