If you’re looking to spice up your Taco Tuesday, these chipotle mushroom tacos will sure do the trick! Meaty, hearty, and an absolute comfort, you may find yourself wanting to make these daily!
- ¼ cup of canola oil (or your favorite vegetable oil)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 5 large tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 small can of marinated chipotle peppers (7 – 8 oz)
- 1 pinch of pepper
- Salt, to taste (approximately 1 teaspoon)
- 1 pound of wild oyster mushrooms cut or pulled into strips (like chicken)
- In a medium pan over medium heat, add the oil. Once hot, add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion becomes transparent.
- Add the diced tomatoes and chipotle peppers and cook until the sauce turns a darker color. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the mushroom strips and cook until soft, about 10-20 minutes depending on how thin it’s shredded. If using oyster mushrooms, make sure to cut off the bottom parts of the mushrooms and shred into fine pieces with your hands. If using button or portobello, just chop however you’d prefer. Test single mushroom for taste and adjust salt and spice levels according to preference.
- Remove from heat and spoon mushroom filling into corn or flour taco tortillas. Top with fresh cilantro and serve with refried beans, avocado, and any other fillings of your choice.
- It works with any mushrooms, but oyster mushrooms can be pulled like chicken!
- Sensitive to spice? Start by testing a small batch of mushrooms to see if the heat is to your liking and adjust accordingly.
Keywords: gluten-free, soy-free, mushrooms, tacos, Mexican, chipotle, spicy, meatless, meat-free, dairy-free