Allison Rivers Samson is widely known for her velvety plant-based mac and cheese—the most popular recipe ￼ever featured by VegNews magazine. Well, this is her latest and greatest. It’s made with only the cleanest ￼ingredients, including some that may surprise you. That’s why it’s called magic!
- 8 ounces of dry pasta, cooked al dente
- ¼ cup of unflavored (refined, not virgin) coconut oil
- ⅓ cup of chopped yellow onion
- ¼ cup of diced carrots
- ¾ cup of cooked garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1½ cups of water
- ¼ cup of raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon of mild Dijon mustard
- In a large stockpot, cook the pasta according to package, drain, rinse, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a sauté pan over medium heat, add oil, onion, carrots, garbanzo beans, garlic, salt, paprika, and pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add water, sunflower seeds, vinegar, and Dijon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low-medium, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a blender, process cooked contents of the sauté pan until completely smooth—this is important. Test for smoothness by removing a spoonful, allowing to cool for a minute, and then rubbing sauce between thumb and forefinger.
- In a large bowl, toss together the sauce with cooked pasta and serve hot.
- Unflavored coconut oil, also called “refined coconut oil,” is sold in jars in most health food stores. The most common brand is Spectrum. The “virgin” variety tastes like coconut, and is best for coconut-flavored dishes. Other options are sunflower or safflower oil, as well as a homemade non-dairy butter/margarine or store-bought like Miyoko’s Creamery or Earth Balance. Feel free to use less if you prefer.
- Raw, unsalted cashews can be used instead of sunflower seeds, but will add a touch sweetness to the flavor.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: vegan macaroni, dairy-free mac n' cheese, non-dairy meal, vegan dinner, pasta