This light and fluffy sponge-like cake is absolutely delicious and oh-so-easy to make—no eggs necessary. It’s hands-down the best vegan lemon olive oil cake recipe I’ve ever made!
- 1 ¾ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of olive oil (we used Bono Olive Oil)
- ½ cup of applesauce
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed completely with a potato masher
- ½ cup of fresh squeezed Meyer lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons of fresh lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until evenly incorporated.
- In a large bowl add the sugar, olive oil, and applesauce. Using a hand mixer, mix on high for 2 minutes. Add in the mashed banana and whip to combine. Add in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract and mix with a spoon just until combined.
- Slowly add the flower mixture into the wet mixture and stir with a spoon just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Scoop the batter into a greased 9″ cake pan and tap it roughly on a hard surface to remove any pockets of air.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool fully in the pan before gently removing and plating and dusting the top generously with powdered sugar. If desired, decorate the top with a few thin slices of lemon that have been patted dry before adding to the top, and a sprig of rosemary.
Keywords: vegan, vegetarian, dessert, cake, Italian, olive oil, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, baking, spring, holiday