This sautéed kale salad is a delicious, healthy lunch and a delightful way to enjoy kale! We love making this sautéed kale with garlic and sesame to serve as a side, but it can easily be turned into a complete meal by adding protein-packed pinto beans, creamy avocado chunky, calcium-rich tahini, and served atop a filling bed of quinoa (or rice).
- 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil
- 2 large bunches of curly kale, rinsed, stems removed, and roughly chopped into bite-sized pieces.
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder (or two large cloves of garlic, minced)
- ¼ teaspoon of sesame seeds (white or black)
- ¼ teaspoon of salt (adjust to personal taste)
- ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons of tahini
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa (optional)
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add the toasted sesame oil.
- Once hot, add the chopped kale and toss it with the oil using a spatula.
- Add the garlic powder (or fresh minced garlic), sesame seeds, salt, and red pepper flakes and mix it evenly with the kale.
- Cook for about 5-7 minutes, regularly tossing frequently to prevent burning. Remove from heat.
- Mix in pinto beans and diced avocado and serve atop quinoa (if desired). Top with a generous drizzle of tahini and enjoy!
Is your tahini too thick to drizzle? Mix in a tiny bit of water to thin it out.
Keywords: gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free, lunch, side, kale, vegetarian, vegan, leafy greens