The creator of Post Punk Kitchen and author of 10 vegan cookbooks, Isa Chandra Moscowitz, recently released her latest—the 10th anniversary updated edition of her very first cookbook, Vegan with a Vengeance. A full decade ago this book made waves in the vegan world, and we know many who own tattered, well-loved copies. Well, it’s time for an upgrade!
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours or overnight (see Fizzle says, page 117)
- 1 cup vegan vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces small shell pasta or macaroni (gluten-free, whole wheat, or any type)
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes (or chopped regular tomatoes)
- Drain the cashews and place with all the sauce ingredients in a high-powered blender (or food processor) and blend away until completely smooth. Scrape down the sides with a spatula to make sure you get everything. Depending on the strength of your blender, this could take from 1 to 5 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper, keeping in mind that you want it just a little saltier than you think because it’s going to be poured over all of the other ingredients.
- Prepare the pasta according to the package directions. When the pasta is tender, drain it in a colander. Immediately place it back in the pot you boiled it in and stir in the sauce. Place the pot on low heat and stir for 3 minutes or so, until the sauce is thickened a bit and everything is deliciously creamy. Taste for salt again.
- Now toss in the arugula, tomatoes, and eggplant bacon, leaving a little extra aside to garnish, if you like.
- Gorgeous photos
- Easier directions
- Simplified recipes (that are just as yummy!)
- Shorter ingredient lists
- A few new recipes
Better yet, Isa is sharing one of the recipes from the book with the World of Vegan community! Enjoy some epic BLT macaroni and cheese using the recipe below.