During my first winter as a new mom, when Baby V was still waking up throughout the night and I was in total zombie mode, I dreaded the early sunsets of December and January. I came up with this protein-packed hot cocoa recipe as a sweet treat to brighten up those cold, dark afternoons. I’ve since learned that this Cozy Spiced Vegan Hot Chocolate recipe is not just a hit with sleep-deprived parents but also a great lower-sugar, an extra-creamy hot chocolate recipe that kids will go wild for.
- 4 cups of unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup of creamy almond butter (see below)
- ¼ cup of cocoa powder
- ¼ cup of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- dash of salt
- ¼ cup of vegan chocolate chips
- vegan marshmallows (such as Dandies)
- cinnamon sticks
- Heat the almond milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the almond butter, cocoa powder, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and salt, and whisk every 30 seconds or so until the mixture is smooth and almost simmering, 4–5 minutes.
- Add the chocolate chips and whisk for about 1 more minute, until they melt.
- Transfer to mugs, top with marshmallows (if using), and add a cinnamon stick (if using) to each mug to stir with.
Note: If your almond butter is less creamy and more grainy, you may want to blend the almond milk and almond butter together before warming the hot chocolate.
Keywords: hot chocolate, vegan hot chocolate, vegan beverage, vegan hot drink, hot cocoa