Super filling and bursting with flavor, our Green Chili Soup is a spectacular addition to your weekly dinner rotation. Each spoonful is creamy and comforting with a slow-burning, spicy kick. You’ll love this Mexican-inspired, savory recipe.
For the stock
- 3 green bell peppers (stem removed and deseeded)
- 2 medium plum tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1 medium red onion (halved)
- 1 small jalapeño pepper (stem removed and deseeded)
- 8 big stems of fresh parsley (with the leaves)
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 7 cups of vegetable broth (or equivalent amount of vegetable bouillon and water)
For the soup:
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 2 medium potatoes (sliced thinly to create round discs and then cut into halves or quarters to be bite-sized)
- 1 cup of mushrooms, sliced
- ½ of a medium yellow onion, sliced into strips
- 3 medium cloves of garlic, minced
- 15 ounce can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves (optional, remove before serving)
- Fresh parsley leaves (for garnish)
- Sliced lemon (for garnish)
- More red pepper flakes (for garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Place the bell peppers, tomatoes, red onion, and jalapeño, in a baking tray, and bake them for about 35 minutes.
- Once ready, add them to a blender with the vegetable broth, parsley, and red pepper flakes and blitz until smooth. You might need to blend it in batches to avoid it from overflowing. Set aside.
- Add canola oil to a soup pot over medium-high heat. Then add the potatoes, mushrooms, sliced yellow onion, and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes. Then add the cannellini beans.
- Add the salt, black pepper, and dried oregano. Then cook for another 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Pour your previously prepared blended stock into the pot and add the bay leaves (if using). Lower the heat to medium and let the soup simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.
- Serve and garnish with red pepper flakes, fresh parsley, and a slice of lemon.
Keywords: chili soup, vegan soup, green chili, spicy soup, vegan dinner