This delicious cream of tomato soup is perfect for a chilly day. It’s packed with flavor and easy to make. It’s completely plant based, dairy-free, and loaded with nutrients. Serve it with a side of vegan grilled cheese for the perfect mealtime combo.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 medium cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of basil
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 large russet potato, diced
- 1 (20 oz) can of fire roasted tomatoes, with their juices
- 4 cups of vegetable broth (or vegetable bouillon and water)
- ¼ cup of raw cashews
- Fresh basil, finely sliced, for garnish
- In a large soup pot, add the oil and warm over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for a few minutes until the onion becomes translucent.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, basil, oregano, and diced potato.
- Add the can of tomatoes and 3 cups of the vegetable broth (or bouillon and water), reserving one cup to blend with the cashews in the next step. Bring the pot to a boil and cook for 20 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through.
- Add cashews and remaining 1 cup of vegetable broth (or bouillon and water) to a high-powered blender and blend on high until you have a very smooth creamy cashew milk.
- After the pot has been cooking for 20 minutes, remove from heat, add the cashew milk, and blend with an immersion blender until pureed.
- Serve hot topped with basil.
- Serve with a side of vegan grilled cheese or topped with crunchy vegan croutons.
- If you prefer a silky smooth creamy tomato soup, blend with a high-speed blender instead of an immersion blender. Transfer the soup a bit at a time into the blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Don’t want to make your own cashew cream? You can use unsweetened and unflavored soymilk or cashew milk or any other plant-based milk in its place. You can even use coconut milk in a pinch, although that will impact the flavor of the soup.
Keywords: soup, dairy-free, vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, dinner, easy, winter, fall, warm, cashew, plant-based