Having a hankering for some creamy soup without the dairy? This delicious vegan cream of mushroom soup uses cashews to give it that rich, creamy body that will leave you licking your bowl clean! It’s one of our favorite vegan mushroom recipes.
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- 24 ounces of fresh cremini mushrooms (or get exotic culinary mushrooms), sliced
- 3 tablespoons of vegan butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup of dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- 1 cup of water
- 3 teaspoons of Herbs de Provence
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coat the bottom of a soup stock pot (or Instant Pot) with 4 tablespoons of olive oil and turn to medium heat (or use the sauté function if using an Instant Pot).
- Once the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and keep them moving while you sauté them until soft. Transfer the sautéed mushrooms to a plate and set aside.
- Coat the bottom of the stock pot (or Instant Pot) with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and vegan butter.
- Add the diced onions and sweat over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until they become soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking and stirring for about 1 minute, until very fragrant.
- Stir in the white wine, raise the heat, and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat and allow the wine to simmer until most of the liquid has cooked off, about 5 minutes.
- Begin adding the flour, a bit at a time. Stir the flour in between each addition to form a paste that coats the onions and garlic. Cook everything for about a minute, stirring constantly.
- Begin whisking in the vegetable broth, a bit at a time, until all of the broth has been added and the flour is blended in.
- Blend 1 cup of raw cashews with 1 cup of water to make a thick cashew cream.
- Stir in the cashew cream, Herbs de Provence, and sautéed mushrooms. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Raise the heat and bring the liquid to a boil. Lower the heat and allow the soup to simmer for about 15 minutes, until the liquid thickens up a bit.
- Remove the pot from the heat, serve, and enjoy!
Keywords: soup, warm, fall, winter, instant pot, creamy, dairy-free, mushrooms, hearty, plant-based