Having a hankering for some creamy mushroom soup without the dairy? This delicious soup uses cashew to give it that rich, creamy body that will leave you licking your bowl clean!
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- 24 ounces of fresh cremini mushrooms (or get exotic culinary mushrooms), sliced
- 3 tablespoons of vegan butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup of dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- 1 cup of water
- 3 teaspoons of Herbs de Provence
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coat the bottom of a soup stock pot (or Instant Pot) with 4 tablespoons of olive oil and turn to medium heat (or use the sauté function if using an Instant Pot).
- Once the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and keep them moving while you sauté them until soft. Transfer the sautéed mushrooms to a plate and set aside.
- Coat the bottom of the stock pot (or Instant Pot) with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and vegan butter.
- Add the diced onions and sweat over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until they become soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking and stirring for about 1 minute, until very fragrant.
- Stir in the white wine, raise the heat, and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat and allow the wine to simmer until most of the liquid has cooked off, about 5 minutes.
- Begin adding the flour, a bit at a time. Stir the flour in between each addition to form a paste that coats the onions and garlic. Cook everything for about a minute, stirring constantly.
- Begin whisking in the vegetable broth, a bit at a time, until all of the broth has been added and the flour is blended in.
- Blend 1 cup of raw cashews with 1 cup of water to make a thick cashew cream.
- Stir in the cashew cream, Herbs de Provence, and sautéed mushrooms. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Raise the heat and bring the liquid to a boil. Lower the heat and allow the soup to simmer for about 15 minutes, until the liquid thickens up a bit.
- Remove the pot from the heat, serve, and enjoy!
Keywords: soup, warm, fall, winter, instant pot, creamy, dairy-free, mushrooms, hearty, plant-based