We can’t sing the praises of this soup enough. It’s creamy-yet-chunky, and sings with the fresh flavor of corn. We’ve already had friends begging us for this recipe, and lucky for them—and you—it’s really easy to make. If corn’s not in season, don’t worry—the frozen variety works just as well.
- 1½ tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- ½ medium jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 1 pound of red, russet, or Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped
- 4 cups of corn kernels (frozen corn or fresh uncooked corn sliced directly off the cob—about 4 large ears), divided
- 4 cups of rich vegetable broth (or equivalent amount of vegetable bouillon and water)
- 1½ teaspoons of salt
- 2 cups of unsweetened, plain plant-based milk
- 2 tablespoons of chopped green onion, for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper, for garnish
- In a large soup pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, jalapeño, and celery and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, until the onion becomes translucent and tender.
- Add the potatoes, 2 cups of the corn kernels, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- In a blender, combine the remaining 2 cups of corn kernels, salt, and plant-based milk and blend on high until smooth. Pour the mixture into the pot of soup, bring to a boil, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Using an immersion blender, briefly blend some (but not all) of the soup. This will thicken the soup, but visible chunks of the ingredients should remain. (Alternatively, you can use a regular blender to purée half of the soup, and then add it back in.) Be careful not to over-purée, because you want plenty of chunkiness to remain in the soup.
- Garnish each bowl with chopped green onion and freshly ground pepper.
Friendly Suggestion: If you have extra frozen corn kernels, toss them in the soup after blending.
Keywords: vegan corn chowder, vegan chowder, corn soup, vegan soup, corn stew,