No fish need to be disturbed for this carrot lox! It’s perfect atop bagels with vegan schmear (that’s cream-cheese for the goyim out there). Garnish with tomato, thinly sliced onion, cucumbers, and capers, and you’ve got a bagel your bubbe would approve of. Mazel tov!
- 1 pound of carrots, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup of soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon of liquid smoke
- ¼ cup of maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of fresh or dried dill
- 2 tablespoons of nori flakes
- ¼ cup of lemon juice and zest of lemon
- In a shallow pan or ziplock bag marinate raw carrot slices for 1-3 days.
- Preheat oven to 300*
- In a roasting pan with at least 2 inch sides, place carrots and marinade in pan and roast for 90 minutes until carrots are smooth and cooked through.
- Remove from liquid and serve. Reserve liquid for another marinade (it’s great for tofu or tempeh).
This recipe is best made ahead allowing the carrots to cool. The carrots like to marinate for at least a day.
Keywords: bagel, breakfast, carrots, cream cheese, fish-free, lox, schmear